3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Looking into a body lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 AM
cjs4444
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into a body lift

How hard are these to install? Am i looking at a major project here...Anyone that has one installed please chime in. Also any brands to stay away from would help as well. thanks

Old 09-23-2010, 09:11 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Performance Accessory's body lift is the one you want. It is easy to put on and comes with very good instructions. I did mine on my truck by myself and had never done one before.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:26 AM
cjs4444
All Star

how long did it take you....

Old 09-23-2010, 10:41 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Most of the day I guess. I skipped a few things like needing to relocate or disconnect my battery (-) cable and brake lines. I didnt add in the e-brake cable bracket (didnt need it). I didnt do the cutting on the rad shroud either because it was already off due to having my e-fan

Old 09-23-2010, 02:51 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ain't done one on a 3rd Gen, I opted for my first suspension lift this time around. But I've done two on my own trucks (my 2nd Gen Ram and a Cheby Z71) and one on a buddies Z71.
It is not a hard install at all, but very time consuming. In the driveway, with four jack stands and a helper you can plan on a full day. I never got one 100% done in one day, but easily got it done on 5-6 hours on a saturday and another 4-5 hours over sunday, with a few food and even more beer breaks...

Old 09-23-2010, 03:50 PM
70x7
Veteran

I was looking into one before and every single shop I asked (about 4) about it suggested I do not do a body lift. Each said they remove almost as much as they install because customers are not happy with the ride qualities, added squeaks and noises, etc...

Just repeating what I was warned from but I know alot of members here have them and I guess they are happy with them. Im actually curious if these rumors of unhappiness are true myself..

Old 09-23-2010, 04:08 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I never had any issues with my body lifts. If installed correctly they are fine (maybe your shop doesn't do a good installation). I will admit now that I've done a suspension lift, that the ride is MUCH better off road and the truck has much less body lean while turning than any body lift I've had. I basically went suspension on this truck because when I lifted it I was approaching 40, have had back surgery and ain't getting any younger and wanted to see if it would not bounce me around the cab as much as my body lifts had.

I don't wheel hard anymore so I really didn't need a suspension lift, but I'm glad I got this one, especially since the Rancho kit replaces a LOT of the smaller, weaker stock front end components with bigger, beefier ones.

But I paid $1700 for my kit and installed it myself. Unless you are really a hard core off-roader, there is NO problem running a $100 level kit and $350 body lift combo to achieve about the same lift I have at a fraction of the cost...

Quick Reply: Looking into a body lift