3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Need an advice regarding winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Handlobraesin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hankook I*Pike are a great tire my family runs them on their trucks and I'm going to buy myself some on the weekend. I'd recommend a thinner tire for winter, I've heard the stock width tire don't have great control. My cousin runs 245 70 R17s and they work great in winter.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Slava
Veteran

Interesting, does anyone can explain why 245 will work better than 265 in the winter?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

245 is not as wide as a 265 giving you more lbs per square inch resulting in better traction

Old 09-27-2010, 10:12 AM
B-radical
Professional

Nice suggestions so far! I just grabbed a set of General Grabber AT2's for winter, 265/70/17 on a Ram 1500.

Heard some good things about the Hankook ATM's as well though.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Slava
Veteran

OE tires have load range of 113, can I go down from this number? Let's say 108 for the winter tires? I'm not going to tow anything during the winter :-). Does it require an extra work to put 245 tires instead of 265? Thx.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:55 AM
B-radical
Professional

No, it won't be any extra "work" persay. My truck had 245's on it before

Old 09-27-2010, 12:32 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You know, that's something I've often wondered about regarding going to a thinner tire for snow. Not that I'm disputing it, cause I've always heard it too, and I grew up in upstate NY where EVERYBODY used to run a "winter tire" at least those with trucks.

A snowmobile gets winter traction because of all the tread that's put in contact with snow and ice. They sell track setups for ATVs for winter use and big rig trucks boast about having much better traction in winter because of all the combined square inches of tire being put in contact with the surface.

But "they" recommend going to a thinner tire on a pickup (or SUV or passenger car for that matter). I know the theory here is to get a couple more lbs/sq. inch on the tread, but when I was ice fishing during the winters of my younger days, it seemed the guys running soccer mom treads were outperforming all the dudes with A/T and M/T treads because they had more tread making contact. They'd grip much better than anyone else short of those who run studded tires on the ice.

I always ran a thicker all-terrain tread myself and put about 200# of sand in the bed, over the rear axle and never had a problem...

Old 10-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Slava
Veteran

I just finished reading of all threads related to winter tires so I'd like to summarize. It looks like everybody agree that having winter tire is really cool however only 1 person actually uses winter tires - Hankook I*Pike. All others are actually use different types of all seasons. Here is the list of suggested ATs for winter driving:
- Nitto Terra Grappler
- Cooper ATZ
- Firestone A/T
- Toyo Open Country A/T
Looks like all of them performs pretty well during the winter.
But I live in Ontario, in snow belt. I'm driving 100km each day on country side roads which are "plowed" but usually have packed snow. So maybe Ontarians will use winter tires anyway but they are ashame to tell about this? :-)

Old 10-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Slava
Veteran

And forgot Goodyear DuraTrac...Goodyear? Are you sure about it?

Old 10-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Slava
Veteran

No movement on this thread...
So I decided to go with pure winter tires and just ordered Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 265/70R17 from 1010tires.com (Canadian site so price + shipping was the lowest among all other sites and local dealers). I will share my experience next spring :-)

Quick Reply: Need an advice regarding winter tires