3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Introduction!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Smitz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction!

Out of all honesty, I have been lurking the hell out of this site for about 2 or 3 months now. Finally, here it is, the big.....

hi!

A few months ago I got into a pretty nasty car wreck and the replacement of my civic was a 2006 2x4, v6 Quad Cab. To be honest that is a temporary truck that will be given to family. In the works is a 2008 4x4 Hemi Quad.

I am an engineer and thus have a terrible OCD with numbers and such, so eventually when this new truck gets here I am looking to get it 11" higher total (thus creating the golden ratio between wheelbase and height). 2.5" leveling kit, 6" suspension lift, and 37" tires should satisfy that.

Now for questions about future modifications:

What types of manual transmissions would be able to fit the 5.7 and the transfer case? (and has it been done?)

Has anyone tried to create a custom CAI where the filters are right behind the vents where the fog lights are usually located? I think K&N makes cones that would fit. If so, pics? And do you think that would give a better increase than an SRT-10 hood that was ported directly to the air filter directly into the throttle body? (no bends that way)

What brands of standard bolt on mods give the greatest performance increase? (I'm worried mostly about chip, headers and exhaust)

When doing an Taurus eFan swap, what do you do with the coolant and the washer fluid tanks? do you leave the shroud on there and slip the fan under it?

Thanks for reading my wall of text! And once again: HI!

Old 09-26-2010, 12:20 PM
sinus19
Veteran

wow! WELCOME!! well for the CIA, i used to have a 5" ducting hose run all the way to the fog light hole and back to my intake box
and for the E fan, i took off the stock shroud and bolted the windshield washer on to my intake box, and the radiator tank to the radiator with some special brackets that i made

Old 09-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Smitz

thanks!

Old 09-26-2010, 02:41 PM
hoss67
Record Breaker

Welcome dude! well about the manual tranny, they make them in the 5.7 2500 but i dont know if they did in the newer year trucks? now since you going to be lifting yours so high and your looking for a manual tranny i would recommend gettin the cummings diesel.... One chip can increase hp and torque a ridiculous amount, but thats just my opinion..... as for the CAI i thought about runing mine down to where the fog lights are, all i would have to do with my homebrew CAI is cut the shield and run long pvc pipe if you want to check out my setup in my album and i would have to get a smaller filter of course... welcome again dude

Old 09-26-2010, 02:43 PM
That1guy
Veteran

Around here if your intake is fog light level you would be in trouble quick. Most lifts level the truck so i leveling kit would just make the *** end lower. It would be a bitch to swap in a 5spd behind a hemi half ton. A 2500 is easier to lift plus would handle 37's a lot better. Just dont expect to race it.

Oh and how do you have a v6 quad cab?

Just curious what kind of engineer are you? I'm about to be a civil in a few months.

Last edited by That1guy; 09-26-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:47 PM
hoss67
Record Breaker

^^^ yeah thats one reason why i havent done mine yet, i have a feeling soon as i do i will be in a mudhole and suckin all that water up lol

Old 09-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Smitz

Not doing much offroading or whatnot so I am not worried about clogging the intake. Since my previous post though, I did stumble across a company called APM automotive. Check them out, SRT10 hood that functions as a ram air system. SO much better than what I was going to do! Maybe portable to a supercharger when the time comes? I know there are many benefits to a diesel, and I have really thought about it, still unsure though. What kind of MPG numbers do they get, what specs are they putting to the ground? How do they take to mods?

I'm an electrical engineer with a nasty surfing / rock climbing habit. (There seems to be a slight increase in surfboard hauling capacity between a civic and ram.)

As for the 2006 V6 Quad.... I have no idea about rarity, picked it up about 3 months ago at an auto auction place, 53k on the clock, out the door for ~$11k... so I was happy.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:17 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

I have seen one or two qc v6's around. They are kind of rare, but underpowered of course. I would have to say no go on the low CAI. Any slight bit of water, even not offroading will hurt you.

The diesels very much like mods and are underpowered from the factory. The mpg are very reasonable. Just do a search on google.

http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/rampickup2500/review.html

The 350hp/650fp is really easy to bump up. Almost too easy. If you get a 4wd, you also get a SFA instead of the IFS making it easier to lift. You also have the option of a manual in the 2500. Everything you're looking for.

Quick Reply: Introduction!