3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

another hid question.... idea

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Unperfected
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another hid question.... idea

ok guys i know the hid stuff has been talked about a million times so heres a quick question....

I bought a 35 watt set installed them and as everybody else they flicker so heres my idea. I am not getting a lamp out code and am running the high beam and even when i just run fogs because the low beam dont turn on im not getting a lamp out so can i tap into the fog light foe low beam power and install a diode so it doesnt back feed the computer. That will allow the low beams to come on and hopefully wont spit a code. i was gonna tap into the fogs and directly go to the low beams but eventually i will run that wire as a trigger for a relay if it works out..

so guys what do u think?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:42 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

No. your headlight control won't work properly, your high beams won't work.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:58 PM
STRMC2010

Hmmm have you tried warning cancelers?

Old 10-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Unperfected
Professional

ok guys as an update i did tie my hid's into my running lights. So what i did was tap in the running lights and put a diode in so that the power cant back feed to the computer. i did take it out for a drive and dont seem to have any issue. I just turn my headlight switch on to running lights not all the way to headlights. It works great the fog lights come on and i dont get any light out issue, well as of yet. Now if i do turn the switch to headlights the still stay on and i can also turn the high beams on which comes on with the lows on too. Now i dont know what the future holds for this set up but as of right now it was a great fix that cost me 2 bucks for the diodes. O and it took half an hour to do.

Let me know ur opinions on this, my concern is if it will do anything to the comuter if the diodes go.....

Old 10-11-2010, 01:27 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Not an idea set-up at all. Sure anything can be done, but that way is not what I would reccomend. That means you need to turn your headlight **** on and flip your multi-functionswitch to activate your highbeams. You will have DTC codes that you cannot see that will be stored and active in your computer. The inexpensive scanner tools including a Tuner cannot see those codes, so it's cerainly not a set-up guys with warranties want to take on. Whenever you turn your headlight control to the normal position for your highbeams, the compute does no sense any headligts and therefore throws a code. That isn't really a big deal, I'll get the that next.
Also, if you are not using a relay, you are asking for trouble. You cannot power your headlights using you foglight wiring and not expect to have future wiring problems. The stock wiring can only handle so much current. Sure, it'll pull what you need, but the wiring and connectors will get hot and melt if the fuse doesn't pop....it doesn't pop because there is no fuse. You will likely fry your TIPM.
I'd suggest using a relay, actually, you will need 2 of them. One for the headlights using the foglights wire as a trigger and one relay for the headlighs using the highbeam as a trigger. Both should have diodes separating the circuits.

Now, you could run a diode from your lowbeam wire directly to your highbeam wire, but you'll also need to splice in a diode between that splice and the pcm. This will allo your highbeams to come on without even using your multi-function switch ans come onwhen you turn on yout switch all the way. With that set-up, I would reccomend installing 6ohm 50watt resistors on the lowbeam circuit. Eitherway, you will still want 2 relays as stated above.
It's alot of useless run-around work that doesn't need to be done if you wre to use resitors/apacitors to begin with. You would essentially be running in a big circle and have an oddball set-up that may not pass inspection?

Old 10-11-2010, 06:44 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Not an idea set-up at all.
Agreed. This is not supposed to be how they are setup and used. If you are smart enough to rig them to work, then I dont understand why you are not smart enough to make them work properly.

Do you have HID low/high or HID low and halogen high? Did you call the manufacture or seller or local shop you got them from?

Over complicating them just to get them to work will lead to more headaches later down the road for you or some one else.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Unperfected
Professional

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Agreed. This is not supposed to be how they are setup and used. If you are smart enough to rig them to work, then I dont understand why you are not smart enough to make them work properly.

Do you have HID low/high or HID low and halogen high? Did you call the manufacture or seller or local shop you got them from?

Over complicating them just to get them to work will lead to more headaches later down the road for you or some one else.

hey weed, I have the hid low and halogen high, now i do understand that this is not the ideal set up but im not understanding how it will throw codes. I do know that in the next little while i am gonna have to install relays so that the load comes off the battery. But I ran the truck for a week with the hid's in and not working. (was using the high beams) did not get any kinda codes. so really with the diodes i am not back feeding the computer and i will never wanna run the high beams as they a pretty dim. Again i would like to get them to work right but everyone seams to have different ways for them to work. So im just lost with the many ways that can be done. I dont wanna keep spending money on different ways to get them working. I can get a 6ohm 50 watt resistor for 19$ and would buy it if i was gaurented it would work but it doesnt seam to work on everyones. Also if i have to buy 2 or 3 of those it will cost me a fortune. So any help would be great. And yes i have looked at alot of threads but am lost lol.

Quick Reply: another hid question.... idea