3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Just got my first Ram SLT today...what advice do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:12 PM
flinx777
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my first Ram SLT today...what advice do you have?

Just purchased a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT V8 Hemi Quad Cab automatic. It's only got 32,000 miles and not entirely sure where to begin with maintaining this vehicle. I'm going to buy a Chilton's shortly, but I definitely want to make sure I take care of the vehicle to get some good years out of it. I plan on buying a 5000 to 6000 pound RV trailer in the next several months, and I want to make sure I'm maintaining the vehicle correctly to avoid damage. I've read a lot online before buying the truck that they often experience transmission problems (not sure if this is true or just some disgruntled people), but since I'm going to be putting a load on the vehicle, I want to make sure in advance I'm not doing anything wrong.

Anyone out there got any advice on how to maintain this vehicle for this use?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:52 PM
freestyledude
Captain

-Keep up with oil changes, ATF changes, regular maintenance etc.
-Intake and exhaust work lets your truck breathe easier, which is good for the motor
-transmission temperature gauge isn't a bad idea
-if you have 20" rims, ditch them for 17's (lighter weight is less load on the motor)
-the transmissions aren't as bad as they used to be, not many huge problems
-replace the stock limited slip with an aftermarket limited slip before it breaks down

Just don't expect to go as fast with the RV as unloaded and you'll be fine. I know someone who's towed a 12000 pound RV with their 90's Ram 1500 and have not yet had any transmission troubles! And they're not easy on that truck either

Last edited by freestyledude; 10-12-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 PM
JonnyBlaze420
Professional

Sell it...

Old 10-12-2010, 11:36 PM
flinx777

Originally Posted by freestyledude
-Keep up with oil changes, ATF changes, regular maintenance etc.
-Intake and exhaust work lets your truck breathe easier, which is good for the motor
-transmission temperature gauge isn't a bad idea
-if you have 20" rims, ditch them for 17's (lighter weight is less load on the motor)
-the transmissions aren't as bad as they used to be, not many huge problems
-replace the stock limited slip with an aftermarket limited slip before it breaks down
Thanks for the response...I appreciate it! Definitely gives me a lot of good ideas on where to start.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:31 AM
freestyledude
Captain

No problem! I'm sure others will chime in with their own ideas as well

Old 10-13-2010, 08:12 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyBlaze420
Sell it...
I take it you must not be happy with your truck. Mine is lifted and fully modded and I pull a 16 foot trailer that gets loaded down quite a bit. I have never had any issues pulling off from a dead stop or slowing down to a stop.

I agree with a trans temp gauge if pulling it towing though. I also would recommend an e-fan if doing the same. Just keep up the regular maintenance and servicing. There are Parts and Service manuals in the links below you can download now and will help you later.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:59 AM
The Moose
Amateur

Do not waste your money on a Chilton's. They have always been and still are mostly useless. Look at Weedahoe's signature and follow the link to download the factory service manual. There is no better service manual than the factory manual. (Weed, still hoping you eventually come up with 2009 3rd gen service manuals. )

Quick Reply: Just got my first Ram SLT today...what advice do you have?