3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Looking at getting a Ram!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:48 PM
MarXzies
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at getting a Ram!

Hello all! I'm looking into purchasing a 3rd gen Dodge Ram. I'm not new to the Mopar scene but looking for advice on this model. I'm needing to know what the flaws are with this generation while I'm shopping around for one. I'm only looking for the Hemi with a 4x4. Plan to use as a family vehicle/ work truck. I read a post by dirty dog that was helpful. Curious as to MDS issues, drive train anything else ect. If I ever get a scanner I'll post some pics of my original love 87 Dodger Ram originally a 5.2 liter (318cu) awesome motor, that was then replaced with a big block! Thanks for having me!

Old 10-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

off the top of my head

2002-2004 have know issues with the retaining clips in the stock LSD 9.25 diffs

there is a sticky with know problems https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...e-posting.html

Old 10-18-2010, 12:38 AM
MarXzies
Amateur

Originally Posted by Marx
off the top of my head

2002-2004 have know issues with the retaining clips in the stock LSD 9.25 diffs

there is a sticky with know problems https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...e-posting.html
The link to the thread above is what I was referring to early, like I said before good info from Dirtydog. I'll have to check on the diffs though retaining clips aren't a major challenge just time consuming, thanks!

I've also heard about power loss issues for these trucks too! Do many here have this issue? I haven't heard anything about an actual fix on it, just doing circles with the dealerships only to take it back again and again. Cleaning/replacing EGR ect. Currently looking to replace my Grand Cherokee. Thanks again yall!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:17 AM
JonnyBlaze420
Professional

Theres another recent thread about this topic floating around here somewhere.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:44 PM
MarXzies
Amateur

Originally Posted by JonnyBlaze420
Theres another recent thread about this topic floating around here somewhere.
Thanks I found it. It's the thread: Greetings daughter wants a truck!
Good info.

I found one 80k Hemi 4X4 for 15k, pricing isn't bad, thoughts?

Old 10-19-2010, 12:35 AM
all of 75
Veteran

I suggest using Kbb.com for pricing. I picked mine up 2 years ago for 12k with 25k miles.

Another problem that I can think of that's pretty minor is the stock tires suck. And that the transmissions tend to have a lot of parasitic loss. And they tend, especially with the Hemi (at least for me), to get terrible gas mileage, if you care. Other than that, they're great trucks.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:51 PM
MarXzies
Amateur

Originally Posted by all of 75
I suggest using Kbb.com for pricing. I picked mine up 2 years ago for 12k with 25k miles.

Another problem that I can think of that's pretty minor is the stock tires suck. And that the transmissions tend to have a lot of parasitic loss. And they tend, especially with the Hemi (at least for me), to get terrible gas mileage, if you care. Other than that, they're great trucks.
Thanks I checked that they are right about where it should be for the truck under 15k for it. Doesn't sound like much of a deal compared to your though, nice work!

Old 10-20-2010, 12:07 AM
all of 75
Veteran

Just keep looking. It was a wonder of craigslist: Already had the steps, muffler, intake, and air bags in the back.

Good Luck.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:03 PM
MarXzies
Amateur

Originally Posted by all of 75
Just keep looking. It was a wonder of craigslist: Already had the steps, muffler, intake, and air bags in the back.

Good Luck.
Thanks, I found the best for what I'm looking for. Going to take a look at it this weekend.

On another note what is the scheduled time line for these trucks in terms of tuneup and other regular maintenance? Some vehicles are 75k others are 100k. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-23-2010, 02:05 PM
MarXzies
Amateur

Well going to look at it today. Hopefully the everything is as it should be. The inspection and the report and maintenance records are going to be a big one for me on this. Any other suggested info?