3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Flowmaster or Magnaflow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 01:34 AM
cbauer15
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster or Magnaflow?

Ok i have an 08 Ram 1500 4x4 Lone Star Edition with a 5.7L V8 HEMI and i have decided that i am going to get a converted (not true) dual exhaust and I cant decide between Magnaflow or Flowmaster and i wanted to see which brand u guys like better. Ok i want it to be deep and VERY loud going down the road (the sound that makes people turn to look!) and i am able to get both brands at the same price so i want to know what u guys think and if u have any sound clips or vids please add 'em!!!

Old 10-19-2010, 01:44 AM
07silverbullit

Hit up Youtube they have quite a few vids of how each of these exhausts sound. I went with Magnaflow for now.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:19 AM
nateroach
Veteran

You'll find a lot more love for the Magnaflows here. Flowmasters have been notorious for short life, and actually increasing flow restriction compared to the stock set up. The most popular mufflers that you'll find here are magnaflow, aero turbine and cherry bomb. i would say if you are wanting loud your best bet would be a short cherry bomb extreme, but as it was suggested, browse YouTube for sound clips and see what you like best.

nateroach

Old 10-19-2010, 09:24 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Flowmaster = very good sound, although some complain about a drone on MDS equipped engines. VERY poor cfm ratings, often worse flow than a stock muffler. Aluminized construction coupled with low quality welds means short life.

Magnaflow = very quiet to semi-loud depending on model/size. Among the better flowing mufflers.

There are brands out there that will offer the sound of a Flowmaster with the performance of a Magnaflow if you want the best of both worlds...

Old 10-19-2010, 11:38 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

What about Borla? I got it on my 4.7L and love it!!!

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...t=MOV00463.flv

Old 10-19-2010, 11:48 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dakota_raven
What about Borla? I got it on my 4.7L and love it!!!
Yeah, Borla would be a good choice, louder than a Maggy, but very good flow rate. They also tend to last a while.

Other good choices would be Aero Turbine and either a Cherry Bomb Vortex or Extreme. IF it's wake up the neighbors loud you want, tough to beat an Extreme!!!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:26 PM
glass3222
Captain

I had a flowmaster, it rusted out and droned bad at times, but sounded decent most of the time.

Now, I have a borla XR1 and love it.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:39 PM
infernoredram
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yeah, Borla would be a good choice, louder than a Maggy, but very good flow rate. They also tend to last a while.

Other good choices would be Aero Turbine and either a Cherry Bomb Vortex or Extreme. IF it's wake up the neighbors loud you want, tough to beat an Extreme!!!
if you're talking about waking up the neighbors loud, just cut your muffler off! that's what I did and it's hella loud!! I LOVE the way it sounds lol...although it doesn't really do anything for performance..not sure if that's what you're more into

Old 10-19-2010, 05:25 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I started out with a FM Delta 40 and loved it. However when I re-did my exhaust and went with a magnaflow, I loved it more. I have lots of youtube vids if you want to see them.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:37 PM
theHemiBeast
Professional

If you want loud, go with cherry bomb extreme. I had FMs once and it was okay, but my exteme is much better. My next door neighbor has a Maggy on his Ram, and the sound is not even close to mine

Last edited by theHemiBeast; 10-20-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster or Magnaflow?