3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

looking into 1st 3500 or 350 diesel 4*4

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:32 PM
That1guy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A dually conversion shouldnt be bad. Since you're getting a new bed thats the hard part. To my knowledge you just have to switch the rear hubs with duallys to get the right width. I think that all.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:56 AM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After looking for over a year at buying a ford diesel I know a thing or two about them. If you can get a 7.3 with low miles buy it ASAP. They are all about reliability and are slow stock but add a tuner and exhaust and your looking at 100+ hp over stock that easily. Just with more power the tranny hates it. Now the 6.0 is a different story but they are a few out there that the owners had them redone with head studs, after market egr coolers, coolant conversions, etc and those things are just as bullet proof as the 7.3. Thats just a little bit about ford. But for the cummins, I have buddies that own the 5.9 and they love the engine however, they all complain about the tranny. One has a manual and goes through clutches (most likely his driving technique and the 500hp he's pushing), the other has an auto with its 3rd one being put it. BTW, all 07 and newer diesel have the emissions crap on them that destroy fuel mileage. Apparently the new 11' ford does better but thats going to have to prove itself. Each brand has its pros and cons and to me they are all the same. But if your like the majority of the people on here that doesn't have money blowing out their *** I would look at a ford 7.3 or a cummins 5.9 then save a few bucks and put in a built tranny and that truck will last forever.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:18 AM
tmtm

Originally Posted by 03celicagts
I have a ton of seat time in the superduty of those years. The ride quality is terrible every truck in our fleet would go into death shakes everytime u go over washboards, or expansion joints on bridges you would literally have to slow to a crawl for it to stop. Theres was always a vibration in the steering wheel on the highway.

Another thing to look out for on the fords is alot of people just leave the hubs locked and drive around in 2x4 which ****s them up after a while. The ext cab ford with the half doors avoid this model.

The doors rattle going over bumps, gets real annoying on a gravel road. The seats in the ford are terrible. The stock rims are a terrible design and always trap rocks which makes a terrible squealing sound against the rotor. Also those ****ty rims trap mud and throw the wheel out of balance. Those rims are hard to clean. Also some of the f350 had electrical issues and headlights would dimout. I mean the high beams were barely illuminating the road. The powerstrokes from those years really do not tolerate cold weather. The cummins were more reliable in the cold.

Thanks, more to consider for sure, I have drove 05 and 06 f350, ride was nice actually, seats (all leather) were more comfy than the cloth dodge, the the leather dodge was fine though, I have seen several dodge seats broke down enough you sit crooked though, but that can be fixed easily, the back seat on the dodge unless it's mega is pretty tight, i need the 6 passenger room too, the one 06 ford was terrible starting on a cold morning here,. (ok I'm in NE Ga) one thing I'm likeing about the dodge, it looks like you could actually work on the engine in there compared to the ford, wow that is tight in there!

Rattles drive me nuts though, but I haven't drove any that did so far

Old 12-03-2010, 08:19 AM
tmtm

Originally Posted by That1guy
A dually conversion shouldnt be bad. Since you're getting a new bed thats the hard part. To my knowledge you just have to switch the rear hubs with duallys to get the right width. I think that all.
I thought it would be a complete rear end swap for sure, but was wondering about mounting springs n such, this is a fine deal on the '08 SRW, thing is I put in the VIN in a decoder and it came up as a DRW, hmmmmmmmm

Old 12-03-2010, 08:24 AM
tmtm

Originally Posted by kx250frider617
After looking for over a year at buying a ford diesel I know a thing or two about them. If you can get a 7.3 with low miles buy it ASAP. They are all about reliability and are slow stock but add a tuner and exhaust and your looking at 100+ hp over stock that easily. Just with more power the tranny hates it. Now the 6.0 is a different story but they are a few out there that the owners had them redone with head studs, after market egr coolers, coolant conversions, etc and those things are just as bullet proof as the 7.3. Thats just a little bit about ford. But for the cummins, I have buddies that own the 5.9 and they love the engine however, they all complain about the tranny. One has a manual and goes through clutches (most likely his driving technique and the 500hp he's pushing), the other has an auto with its 3rd one being put it. BTW, all 07 and newer diesel have the emissions crap on them that destroy fuel mileage. Apparently the new 11' ford does better but thats going to have to prove itself. Each brand has its pros and cons and to me they are all the same. But if your like the majority of the people on here that doesn't have money blowing out their *** I would look at a ford 7.3 or a cummins 5.9 then save a few bucks and put in a built tranny and that truck will last forever.
thanks, the 7.3 is hard to find not beat, when I do, it's over my cash range, and you can;t finance one that old, the mroe I read, the more I think 06 ford, or go with the dodge any years I can afford, the prob with dodge, I really need a mega cab as the back seat will be used is for long trips, so comfort is really pretty important, no, I cna;t buy a 2010, but that is one sweet looking truck!

thanks

Old 12-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

My vote would be for one of the last 2003 7.3L (diesel) Fords. The 6.0L (diesel) replaced the 7.3L mid-2003.
STAY AWAY from the 2003-2007 6.0L! Too many issues.
The 2008-2010 6.4L (diesel) has been pretty popular. The Fords, with the Tow Command transmission and integrated trailer brake, are really nice. Fords have bigger cabs with nicer interiors.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:24 AM
tmtm
Default update

I did find a truck not a mega cab though, price was one you could not pass up

2006 laramie 4 door drw 3500 4wd, came with the topper and rear air bags, truck had the trans rebuilt not long before I bought it, mpg is terrible compared to what everyone says these get, but it is still better than my gasser half ton when towing,
I have since put 35-12.50 nitto trail grapplers on it and a 2.5" leveling kit,

Attachment 14181

Last edited by tmtm; 01-19-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

Love the tires!

Old 09-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my Ford F350 Diesel and went directly to the dealership and bought an 06' Mega Cab. I couldn't be happier. The truck drives like a dream compared to the Ford. The 6.0 is a boat anchor at best, what a complete POS!!! Go for the Mega Cab, I have a moonroof, a factory overhead DVD player and my back seats recline, it is the only production pick-up truck on the planet with those kind of features for Christ sake, it is awesome!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:22 PM
BILLS06

What mileage are you seeing, hand calculated? If your getting at least 100 before it comes off the full line, and 300 at half, your doing good.

Might be that your running 4.10 gears, and not 3.73's.

Quick Reply: looking into 1st 3500 or 350 diesel 4*4