3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Link to the Live Chat with Ram Engineers at 6:30 ET

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:10 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Were smarter than Engineers ( maybe not me)
Give me a 6sp man trans with a hemi and I will buy a new Dodge truck, until than, I 'm drving Dodges old truck! Not a new Dodge, But a old dodge, Dodge Your not even the same block as rival truck brands.

Hell, I may go back to Ford, just for spite.
(sounds great, but I will never do it)

Old 12-09-2010, 08:23 PM
SeanW727
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Were smarter than Engineers ( maybe not me)
Give me a 6sp man trans with a hemi and I will buy a new Dodge truck, until than, I 'm drving Dodges old truck! Not a new Dodge, But a old dodge, Dodge Your not even the same block as rival truck brands.

Hell, I may go back to Ford, just for spite.
(sounds great, but I will never do it)
^^^^^^
I was only ever able to find one hemi ram in a stick shift. IT was a base model ram 2500, hemi with a 5spd.... 8ft bed standard cab.... And the guy didnt show pictures of the stick shift inside the cab so i have no idea if he was telling the truth or not.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I dunno who Pasquale is but wholy crap, did he ask a ton of mpg "gas saver" type questions. The engineers were eating it up too. I think to buy a full size truck and expect compact car mpg's is asking a bit too much with the allowable design priciples of modern gasoline engines. There are patents that would enable engines to achieve much, much more, but the oil companies buy the rights to those patents whenever they come up, so they ultimately control our future for the gas consumption so they can keep on profiting from the poor inefficiencies of gasoline engines. Afterall, it's their future they care about, not ours.
Pasquale if your out there...Alcohol cannot be used as they said. You'll deteriorate your seals in your gastank and your engine(alcohol dries them up)plus it lacks lubricity. Also, while it may be initially cheaper to run alcohol and you may gian mpg's, the end result is a loss or "equivilant" to gasoline because alcohol burns quicker and thus you get less mpg's as compared to gasoline. Not to mention the tuning isn't meant for alcohol consumption...lol
You did se the window sticker that said 13city/17highway when you bought it right? Just asking?

Regardless of engine design, The dodge ram weighs minimum 5,000lbs and has the aerodynamics of a brick wall. Aint nothing gonna help much with that. Torque is your best friend and gearing down is the only way! 4:10's or 4:56's depending on how much highway you travel?
Well said Dirtydog. I have been working on aerodynamics on my truck for some time now, and can hit mid-20s on the highway, but have yet to make the stickered 14 mpg in the city. To quote another RAM owner "I did not buy a RAM to decrease my carbon footprint."

Old 12-09-2010, 09:16 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 10% were sticks

Originally Posted by SeanW727
^^^^^^
I was only ever able to find one hemi ram in a stick shift. IT was a base model ram 2500, hemi with a 5spd.... 8ft bed standard cab.... And the guy didnt show pictures of the stick shift inside the cab so i have no idea if he was telling the truth or not.
Well, Dodge/RAM's decision on manual trannies still burns my biscuits. I know for model years 06-08, they only offered 10% of the half-tons with stick shifts. This was supposedly based upon consumer requests or preference. It seems more to me a move of convenience and dealers only ordering autos 'cuz they can sell them to anyone. Starting with the 09s, ZERO half-tons get sticks...in fact, you can only get a stick with a Cummins now. There is a thread over at DT where some folks are discussing a tranny swap, but I haven't checked in for a while.

I'd like to make the swap myself...if I get a couple weeks and a spare $1500.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:57 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thiers more than enough smart cars and hybirds conserving flue, More flue for ram drivers.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:55 AM
formguy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am sad about the manual going away. My '03 has over 200k miles on it and I still have the original clutch! I do know where there is a low miles '05 Power Wagon with a stick in it. I've been trying to talk the guy out of it, without much luck.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:58 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, to me there is just something that says "truck" when it has a manual tranny.

I have had a Jeep J10, '84 Furd F150, '85 Nissan, '89 Dodge Raider, '90 Furd F250 Diesel plus two Jeep wranglers all with manual transmissions. I simply prefer a manual transmission, plus I can and have changed out clutches. I have ZERO knowledge on how to work on an automatic transmission. I think there is voodoo involved though...

Quick Reply: Link to the Live Chat with Ram Engineers at 6:30 ET