3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What tire do you like?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 12:47 PM
freestyledude
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my Goodyear MT/Rs, they're great on pavement and in the mud. Not sure on wear though, I haven't put many miles on them since I got the truck

Old 12-25-2010, 01:03 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by freestyledude
I like my Goodyear MT/Rs, they're great on pavement and in the mud. Not sure on wear though, I haven't put many miles on them since I got the truck

Weak sidewall, easy to puncture, short tread life, poor handling on wet pavement, prone to cupping are most of the complaints I hear (and I'm basing this on hunting/fishing club/tourney guys I hang with - NOT ads or online reviews. Most guys do say they are pretty good in mud though, as they should be, they are one of yet another of a long list of the Toyo Open Country M/T clones out there. Problem is they don't seem to have good tread for near as long.

I personally know a guy who wore a set out in under 20k miles on a 4 door Rubicon. The bases of the lugs at the tire were actually cracking and some lugs (which were very heavily worn for the low miles) were breaking off The Goodyear dealer would NOT honor any warranty because the tires were used off-road! WTF?!?!?!?!? I guess you can't hunt if you own Goodyear, LOL...

Although with tires, there are more varying opinions than anything else. You can find one review where they perform like crap in the mud, are treacherous on wet roads and wore out in 8,000 miles and read the next review and the guy says he won a mud bog event with them, they grip like velcro in the rain and he's had them for 80,000 miles and they are still good for 80k more... (those are exaggerations, but you get my meaning)...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-25-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:43 PM
CardinalsFan11
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
That statement is so ridiculous it doesn't even deserve a reply.

Also, I would agree with glass3222 & dodgemudder and throw the Toyo Open Country MTs and Nitto Trail Grapps in the mix. They are about a clone of each other and are well respected off-road tires with good road manners as well...
So why'd you reply to it...

Old 12-26-2010, 03:47 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

OK let me re-phrase:

That statement is so ridiculous I'm not even going to rebut it...

Happy? LMAO...

Old 12-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ lol

I like my nitto trail grapplers, great on the roads and awesome in the mud/snow, only time they are bad is when there is a thin layer of snow on the road but i think almost every tire has that problem

Old 12-26-2010, 08:59 PM
PRF66
Rookie
Default The Right tire

Either Get you some FALKEN WILD PEAK A/Ts 275R20s or buy the OEM Wrangler H/T and get stuck in 1/2 inch of snow backing into your 12 degree
driveway..............Are Wranglers Crap or is it just me? No kidding there is a balance out there for snow/summer driving and mileage. I'm telling you I am getting a set of Falken Wild Peak A/Ts in an attempt to balance, economy with performance. I don't do much off roading, but we get some snow and I like driving in the woods, wet leaves, dirt, mud etc.........Wranglers geez I swear we got horn swaggled when we took delivery of the trucks. We should be given an option on what tires when we spend "37 LARGE"

Old 12-26-2010, 10:37 PM
PRF66
Rookie
Default The Right tire

Either Get you some FALKEN WILD PEAK A/Ts 275R20s or buy the OEM Wrangler H/T and get stuck in 1/2 inch of snow backing into your 12 degree
driveway..............Are Wranglers Crap or is it just me? No kidding there is a balance out there for snow/summer driving and mileage. I'm telling you I am getting a set of Falken Wild Peak A/Ts in an attempt to balance, economy with performance. I don't do much off roading, but we get some snow and I like driving in the woods, wet leaves, dirt, mud etc.........Wranglers geez I swear we got horn swaggled when we took delivery of the trucks. We should be given an option on what tires when we spend "37 LARGE"

Old 12-26-2010, 10:58 PM
03celicagts
Professional

All depends on the type of driving u do. If your driving on some muddy trails and alot of hwy a good a/t will do ya good. Or even a toyo m-55. If ya do some 4x4 and deep snow I just started running Hankook dynapro m/t so far pretty impressed. But I wouldn't choose that tire for real deep mud it just doesnt have the tread for it, but then again that tread is why its still good on ice and snow unlike most m/t.

Alot of guys up here with their lifted diesels swear by nittos if that helps at all.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:33 AM
MaxandBlade

Thanks for the info and opinions everyone...I'm in the same boat (of having to buy new shoes soon).

Quick Reply: What tire do you like?