3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Made the HID conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:18 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great.

Last edited by SLT8; 01-04-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Geezir
Veteran

Originally Posted by huseman808
Less attitude could do you wonders. I made sure that i was not blinding anyone by turning them down slightly as Weed said. then had my wife drive one way down the highway and me down the other way until i was satisfied that they weren't glaring.

As for the rain and fog you are crazy because it was snowing.fog on my way to work this morning and i could see better than i could ever have with the halogens. maybe eventually ill get projectors but for now they will do.
I wasn't trying to come off as an *** or anything. However, my point still stands.

To get the true benefits of a HID setup you need a quality projector fixture. If you are going to run the stock reflector headlights you are better off buying a bulb such as Silverstar Ultra's or GE Nighthawks.

Your photos demonstrate quite accurately the glare (and the scattered light effect that I had mentioned) that you get when you run a stock reflector housing with a HID bulb. That scattered light output is the aspect that makes it harder to see in fog/rain/snow. While you'll light up the road more than you did with your halogen bulbs, you'll end up seeing more of the rain drops/snow flakes/fog because of the scattered light output which results in the poor visibility. Think of it like driving in a heavy snow storm...you'll actually see better with your lowbeams on than your highbeams because of the more contained light pattern.

HID's in stock reflector housing

HID's in proper projector housings.

Notice the sharp accurate cutoff line as compared to the very scattered unclear look of the stock headlights.

http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html

Take a read through that. It's definitely a worthwhile read as it explains how HID's work and why HID's + reflector housings are not a good mix (and gives a better understanding of why in many areas HID's in reflector housings are illegal).

Old 01-04-2011, 07:31 PM
huseman808
Captain

Point taken, that is much more helpfull. Can you recommend a good set of projector headlights? I wanna keep to the black theme I have going with my truck. I'm not sure what to look for

Old 01-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Geezir
Veteran

That's the part I'm stuck on...I can't find a nice set of projectors for my truck that don't look ricey or tackey.

I'm thinking about just doing a projector retrofit to my stock headlights. Lots of work but if done right can look killer. I know a couple of guys on a VW forum I'm a member of who did it to their cars and it looked killer.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Matt99
Champion

JJ does a ton of them...all the time

he goes through retrosolutions for projectors and HIDs

Old 01-05-2011, 07:07 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you want a cheap but decent set of bi-xenon projectors then look for some "e55" projectors on ebay. I have used them in several setup. Swap out the fresnal lens for ZKW lens and get a much better and cleaner cutoff.

HERE is a set on ebay for $60. Shrouds will run you on average of another $50

HERE is a good thread on it

Quick Reply: Made the HID conversion