3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Buying new setup of tires/rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Slava
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying new setup of tires/rims

I'm thinking to change my setup and to buy 285/70R17 tires and also new rims so I'm wondering do I need to buy the whole new set of 5 tires/rims? What did you do with the spare wheel?

Old 01-07-2011, 11:20 AM
dave-o
Veteran

i just upgraded to the same set up. I will try to post some pics today. I lost my chord that connects my camera to the computer, but i kept the the stock spare, and will use as a donut if necessary. I bought 4, it will save about $400-$500

Old 01-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Slava
Veteran

So you kept stock spare tire? What if you'll need to use it?

Old 01-07-2011, 11:28 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I put 24" rims and 6" tires on my truck. I still have my stock 20" rim with the 32" tire. If I get a flat and cant solve it with my can of Fix-A-Flat, Green Slime and on-board compressor and air hose then i will use the spare tire. It has never been used though. You can still see the pink and blue lines in it and has all the little rubber nipples on it. LOL

Old 01-07-2011, 11:31 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Slava
So you kept stock spare tire? What if you'll need to use it?
It's only a spare which means temporarily you'll have an oddball until you get the other one fixed.
When i upgraded my tires, i bought only 4. if I have a flat, I have a repair kit and compressor inside the cad to fix it, but if i need to use the spare, it's a steel wheel that doesn't match so it's not like i would keep it on there anyways!
Having 4wd and regularly rotating in the spare is not a good idea IMO. Standard front-back rotation is what i reccomend, so buying a 5th and storing it will do nothing for you in the future. Just my thought on the situation.

Weed...fix-a-flat is for dummies and extreme situations. You need to get some plugs. The kits are like $12 with carrying case and all.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Slava
Veteran

I want to clarify, is this possible to have forth wheel different on the car? How it will behave on the road?

Old 01-07-2011, 11:42 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Again, it's temporary so you'll be fine. If you read the other thread about issue's with LSD, don't worry. Not the case.
NOW, you cannot use an oddball while in 4wd if it's a completely diff diameter so that's the only concern in my eyes.
Putting the oddball size tire on the rear axle would be the best choice if you were to get a flat in 4wd.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Slava
Veteran

Great, thank you for the info.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:13 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Because I have 35s, I still carry the stock Goodyear Wrangler underneath. I have always carried a tire repair kit in EVERY vehicle I've owned right down to ATVs and have plugged many a tire "in the field". I also carry a 12v compressor and YES, even a big can of "Off-Road Tire Fix-a-Flat" for an extreme emergency.

Yeah 'dog, I laugh every time I read "don't use a different size spare if you have a LSD"... A LSD is meant to spin freely when one tire spins at a different revolution. It should be more "don't use a different size spare if you have a Spool or non-selectable Locker"...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 01-07-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:51 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Weed...fix-a-flat is for dummies and extreme situations. You need to get some plugs. The kits are like $12 with carrying case and all.
I know, ive got one of those too but I think it is in the house somewhere.

Quick Reply: Buying new setup of tires/rims