3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Switched 12v in dash 08 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:55 PM
ATRRAM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switched 12v in dash 08 Ram

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram Quad cab. Just purchased and installed a new auto dim mirror and spent some time searching for a switched 12v to wire into. Figured the connector in the "A" pillar would have switched 12v for the little computer above the mirror but no such luck. The power outlets are switch 12v but not sure how to access them. I believe there are 2 screws above the cup holder I suppose they have to come out and just pull ont he bezel? Any other easier place I should be running my wire to?

TIA-

Old 01-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Matt99
Champion

there are multiple wires to get 12v from in your truck. Best bet is to just run a controller to under your dash, so any new 12v leads you need will be free from that. Theres one in the pillar for the clearance lights, one in the headboard made for the autodim mirror and overhead console. The easiest is the cigarette lighters IMO

Two screws in the cupholer cubby, then take a flathead screwdriver and rag and stick it in the L upper corner near the cluster. Pop that side out, and then work your way around. The rest are just clips

Old 01-09-2011, 05:35 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, the cig lighter next to the steering wheel is the closest and easiest IMO also

Old 01-09-2011, 09:24 PM
ATRRAM

Thanks guys-
I'll take the bezel off and get to the cig lighter closest to the steering wheel.
Thanks Again-

Old 01-10-2011, 06:35 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you may find it's switching the grounds. That's what my 300 does. The radar detector is running off the mirror power, but it's switching the ground, not the hot. Took me a while to figure that one out.

Quick Reply: Switched 12v in dash 08 Ram