3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Nitrogen filled tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011 | 11:34 PM
Skillful
|
Amateur
Default Nitrogen filled tires

Has anyone filled their tires with nitrogen? Did you notice anything different? Fuel mileage or anything.?

Old 01-12-2011 | 11:46 PM
hemiAK
Amateur

i worked at a tire shop for over two years where they filled tires up with nitrogen...its honestly just a sales pitch. it does nothing for fuel mileage or anything. the only thing its really good for is it wont lose pressure in cold air like regular compressor does. so my opinion would be dont waste your money unless u can find a place that puts it in for free.

Old 01-12-2011 | 11:53 PM
Marx
Record Breaker

^^^ what he said + air is 80% nitrogen

Old 01-13-2011 | 07:29 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Agreed, there is less fluctuation in pressure when the temperature gets cold with pure nitrogen, so obviously you will get slightly better fuel economy on pure nitrogen because your tires are staying more full in cold weather. HOWEVER, getting your lazy a$$ out there to check your tire pressure once in a while and adding a little FREE air when it's cold outside accomplishes the same thing...

Old 01-13-2011 | 12:22 PM
Matt99
Champion

The shop said it has nothing to do with the Nitrogen, but I got my tires and my girlfriends tires filled with nitrogen and both of us had blowouts the following week. Ive never had a blowout (before or after, knock on wood) and neither had she.

i attribute it to the nitrogen...it was the only thing that was different in that scenario

Old 01-13-2011 | 09:37 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Unless you are trying to set a land speed record or racing, it's pointless in everyday vehicles. Like mentioned it's nothing but a sales pitch.

Originally Posted by Matt99
The shop said it has nothing to do with the Nitrogen, but I got my tires and my girlfriends tires filled with nitrogen and both of us had blowouts the following week. Ive never had a blowout (before or after, knock on wood) and neither had she.

i attribute it to the nitrogen...it was the only thing that was different in that scenario
There is no reason it would cause a blowout. It had to be due to something else. Nitrogen is less likely to cause a blowout than normal air/oxygen; which is the reason many aircraft use nitrogen.

Last edited by Got_Hemi44; 01-13-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2011 | 10:00 PM
Matt99
Champion

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
There is no reason it would cause a blowout. It had to be due to something else. Nitrogen is less likely to cause a blowout than normal air/oxygen; which is the reason many aircraft use nitrogen.
yea the shop said that also. I dunno, in the hospital we cant explain things sometimes but if repeated contact with the same drug causes a certain insult we just accept that it happens and remove/start it.

Old 01-14-2011 | 12:34 AM
Skillful
|
Amateur

ok just checking

Quick Reply: Nitrogen filled tires