3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Oil filter size?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I agree hammer. I was pissed when I read it, might have overreacted. My duck dog got cut by a hog this morning and I'm at the vet and that pushed me over the edge.

I'm good, and have nothing more to say to the guy. Over in my books.

Anyway, the I have been using RP since I got the truck. It's probably more of a comfort for me than being that much better for the truck. I've been getting it on sale every time with a RP or K&N filter. Last change it wasn't on sale and I got penzoil. We will see what it looks like. Mileage I couldn't tell you because of MPG depleting mods

Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt99
Ok I agree hammer. I was pissed when I read it, might have overreacted. My duck dog got cut by a hog this morning and I'm at the vet and that pushed me over the edge.

I'm good, and have nothing more to say to the guy. Over in my books.

Anyway, the I have been using RP since I got the truck. It's probably more of a comfort for me than being that much better for the truck. I've been getting it on sale every time with a RP or K&N filter. Last change it wasn't on sale and I got penzoil. We will see what it looks like. Mileage I couldn't tell you because of MPG depleting mods

How'd your duck dog get cut up? He get wind of the hog and take off after him?

That's one reason I won't hog hunt with a dog. I love dogs too much to see 'em get cut up. I'd rather track hogs on my own all day and not get close enough for a shot than risk a dog to a hog.

I was in the bogs hunting hogs one day when a guy got cut real bad by a hog. He thought he killed it and it got up and charged him, bounced off his thigh and took off. Tusk got him deep! Just missed the femoral artery or he'da bled out right there. I heard about it a week later, but it happened within a mile of where I was hunting at the same time.

keep me posted how the dog is doing...

Old 01-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Matt99
Champion

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
How'd your duck dog get cut up? He get wind of the hog and take off after him?

That's one reason I won't hog hunt with a dog. I love dogs too much to see 'em get cut up. I'd rather track hogs on my own all day and not get close enough for a shot than risk a dog to a hog.

I was in the bogs hunting hogs one day when a guy got cut real bad by a hog. He thought he killed it and it got up and charged him, bounced off his thigh and took off. Tusk got him deep! Just missed the femoral artery or he'da bled out right there. I heard about it a week later, but it happened within a mile of where I was hunting at the same time.

keep me posted how the dog is doing...
We got treed by em walking to the duck hole a month ago. He went nuts then, and if we didnt have loaded guns he mighta got cut at that point.
We hog hunt with dogs almost every weekend. They know to catch on the ear. The lab doesn't do anything but birds. He musta caughtthe hog on the butt and it turned around and got him. Needless to say, we will be hog hunting there soon

I'm an ICU RN so I pretty much knew what to do (other than him trying to bite me). Like I said, his small intestine came out about 8inches and he herniated the abd wall bad on one side. I packed it and kept the gut wet, etc and got him to the vet. He will most likely be alright. Bet he wont do that again tho!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Boo Radley
Professional

you wouldnt believe how many people come in for an oil change at the dealership where i work and carry a mobil 1 filter in and have us use it because they don't want a crap mopar one used. i just keep my mouth shut and use it it aint worth the argument to tell them they are made in the same factory.

best ones are the guys in suits who come in with a broad and try to tell me exactly what to use and how to do everything to look good in front of their broad. aint a one yet could tell you the difference between a strait 6 and a v6.

Last edited by weedahoe; 01-25-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:04 AM
NHHEMI
Professional

Originally Posted by Boo Radley
you wouldnt believe how many people come in for an oil change at the dealership where i work and carry a mobil 1 filter in and have us use it because they don't want a crap mopar one used. i just keep my mouth shut and use it it aint worth the argument to tell them they are made in the same factory.
There are nothing wrong with MOPAR oil filters and I wouldn't call them crap BUT they are not the same quality as the Mobil 1 filter. The fact Champion Labs makes the OE MOPAR filters and also the Mobil 1 filters does not mean they are the same thing.

The OE MOPAR filters use a standard "paper"( cellulose )filter media whereas the Mobil 1 filters use a synthetic blend media. I don't know exactly what is used for ADBV's but I would wager that the Mobil 1 filter had a better ADBV based on the price and it being extended drain capable. The MOPAR filter more than likely has a lower quality ADBV. The overall construction and capabilities of a Mobil 1 filter and a MOPAR filter are different, which is my point, even if both are made by Champion Labs.

Champion Labs makes filters for many different companies and auto makers. They make them to the spec of the customer so every filter line is made differently. Champion Labs also makes the STP filters which are pretty cheap quality wise. They also make Royal Purple, K&N, and Mobil 1 which are some of the best.

No offense meant just pointing out who makes the filter really doesn't mean too much. Filter A and filter B are not always equal because they were made by the same filter mfg. Also, I believe the aftermarket MOPAR filters( like you get at Wal-Mart )are now being amde by Purolator but not 100% sure on that. Believe that is what I read. OE ones are still made by Champion Labs according to their web site.

Last edited by NHHEMI; 01-24-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Who gives a damn. Run a WIX or a Baldwin and get over it. For $6 you'll never find a better filter. And you'll never know the difference (your wallet will, though).

Oh and Mopar filters are the same as a Purolator Classic.

Quick Reply: Oil filter size?