3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Next Mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by popdog
Doing some of my own research on e-fans, I've found that generally performance with the stock clutch fan is within about 1hp. Sure you get better cooling at idle/low speeds but you're adding stress on the alternator as well.

Currently I'm running 2 pairs of infinity kappa perfect 6.1 6.5" component speakers off of a 1200w 4 channel amp. I'm also running a kicker CVT 10" sub hooked up to a 1000w mono amp. Already putting a significant stress on my alternator I feel like there's not a good reason for me to pick up an e-fan.

This leaves my reasonable performance mods down to:
Headers/exhaust (and possibly intake)
Cam
4.56 gears/Detroit TT

I think that's about it?
1hp does not seem like a good estimate for the HP draw from the clutch fan

Old 01-18-2011, 05:11 PM
popdog
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd be surprised how the efficiency of the clutch fan goes up as soon as you start moving. Google it and you'll see. The only results that had backing dyno's showed the clutch fan working within 1-2hp. The claims of like 10hp+ never had real numbers to back them up. The alternator is going to be robbing power off the crank as well. If anything the biggest benefit most people have found is dropping ~30lbs lol

Old 01-18-2011, 05:27 PM
popdog
Veteran

Anyway - so what's my best bet for a complete exhaust? Main emphasis being on performance and durability but also cheaper is obviously better

Old 01-18-2011, 06:37 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Last dyno I saw with my own eyes was a '06 Hemi, Flex-a-Lite efan freed up 14 RWHP...

Old 01-18-2011, 08:25 PM
popdog
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Last dyno I saw with my own eyes was a '06 Hemi, Flex-a-Lite efan freed up 14 RWHP...
That's solid. Were other variables accounted for? I'm not doubting it's possibility for sure. I'm just not sure if it's worth it or not. Seems like they're not the greatest from a reliability standpoint...

Old 01-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Matt99
Champion

Well they push more CFM and have been being put on vehicles for over 10 years. Must be fairly reliable

Old 01-18-2011, 10:16 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by popdog
That's solid. Were other variables accounted for? I'm not doubting it's possibility for sure. I'm just not sure if it's worth it or not. Seems like they're not the greatest from a reliability standpoint...
There were no "other variables", the truck was dyno'd, the efan was added and the truck was dyno'd. Was a job done at KRC Performance in '06.

I dunno, can't vouch for HP gains on my truck cause I haven't dyno'd it, but I will say I installed my e-fan in April of '06 and have had no issues to date AND gained a solid 2 mpg in city driving, highway is about the same.

As far as suspension lifts destroying CV's that's not true at all. Increased CV angles and wheel/tire weight is what shreds CVs. A properly designed suspension lift will not raise the angle of the CV shafts significantly over stock angles...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 01-18-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:31 PM
popdog
Veteran

Originally Posted by Matt99
Well they push more CFM and have been being put on vehicles for over 10 years. Must be fairly reliable
Yes and no. A clutch fan will outperform an e-fan at high RPM, CFM isn't everything. When I say reliable I don't mean like the concept of an e-fan being reliable, but I've seen a lot of people who needed to replace the e-fan motors 2 years in, etc.

Hammer, those results are impressive. All I meant by other variables were like humidity, temp, etc. I didn't even know for sure that the dyno's were done on the same day. Thanks for clearing that up. It's also reassuring to see you've had great success with the e-fan.

Also, yes, increasing the CV angle is exactly what I meant. I know some kits change the angle too drastically and can cause issues. Also, generally those running a suspension lift put on bigger (heavier) tires. I know my tires and wheels together right now are around 90lbs a piece.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:33 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Before you jump into headers.... you said you had to pass inspection for emissions right? Does NY require CARB parts? Do they do a visual inspection? If they do either of those, kiss the LT's good bye unless you can get someone to "look the other way" at the emissions place.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:47 PM
popdog
Veteran

NY does not follow CARB nor do a visual. They just hook up to OBD II, I don't even think it's a sniffer test on new vehicles. CELs would be bad though.