3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

doing tune up soon, recomendations for plugs/wires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 PM
tedberchtold
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05SLTSPORT
put all origional stuff back in. you will only have problems with going to ngks and such. champion coppers every 50k
thats funny! a mechanic at the dodge dealership recommended the ngk v power plugs to me so i installed them and they are fantastic plugs! the truck runs unbelievably smooth and i got almost 2.5 mpg better after the switch!
NGK all the way from now on!

Old 03-02-2011, 11:13 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tedberchtold
thats funny! a mechanic at the dodge dealership recommended the ngk v power plugs to me so i installed them and they are fantastic plugs! the truck runs unbelievably smooth and i got almost 2.5 mpg better after the switch!
NGK all the way from now on!

Oh c'mon, 2.5 MPG? Were the previous plugs completely shot and dropping your MPG's?

Old 03-03-2011, 07:16 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. Inflated mileage improvements are a bit tiresome. My truck had 86K when the plugs were changed. If that had improved the mileage by 2 1/2 and my CAI improved by 3, and the Magnaflows improved by 3 and my e-fan improved by 2, and Sea Foam improved by 3, I should be getting 22 mpg in town.

I suspect too many people are believing the O/H console for the mpg.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:14 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed. All a spark plug does is produce and provide a spark. How will that spark provide a 2.5mpg increase? It wont.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:34 PM
tedberchtold
Rookie

yes as a matter of fact they were worn very badly! the factory gap is .045 and every one of the sixteen plugs i took out had anywhere from a .055 to a .065 gap and they had 125k mile on them!
now for anyone who thinks im a liar they can blow it out their *** for all i care!
im not here to try and impress anyone with mpg's all i can tell you is i got 7.5 mpg in that truck for the first two tanks i ran through it when i bought it 2 months ago and after i put the ngk's in it i went to 9.7 mpg.
was it because they were worn so badly? probably but dont go assuming someone is "inflating" anything! how frickin rude!
and weedahoe if a plug wont produce a mpg increase then how did mine go up? magic i guess.
i also find it funny that guys are saying champion all the way when the mechanics at the dodge dealership are saying to replace them with ngk!

Last edited by tedberchtold; 03-03-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:38 AM
NHHEMI
Professional

I will use NGK 5306 V-Power plugs to replace the crappy OE Champions myself. While this forum seems to be mostly pro OE Champion most other places/forums the NGK V-Power 5306 plugs are the most popular copper core replacement plug for the 5.7L by far. Most independant shops here use the NGK's over the OE Champions.

I believe you could have seen that 2+ MPG gain but clearly it was because you replaced really worn plugs and just returned the MPG to it's normal level. You won't see a 2+ MPG gain from any pplugs over and above the normal MPG for a vehicle. However, replacing old and worn plugs certainly can return MPG and thus give a big gain over the worn ones as it clearly happened here.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:29 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by tedberchtold
yes as a matter of fact they were worn very badly! the factory gap is .045 and every one of the sixteen plugs i took out had anywhere from a .055 to a .065 gap and they had 125k mile on them!
now for anyone who thinks im a liar they can blow it out their *** for all i care!
im not here to try and impress anyone with mpg's all i can tell you is i got 7.5 mpg in that truck for the first two tanks i ran through it when i bought it 2 months ago and after i put the ngk's in it i went to 9.7 mpg. was it because they were worn so badly? probably but dont go assuming someone is "inflating" anything! how frickin rude! and weedahoe if a plug wont produce a mpg increase then how did mine go up? magic i guess. i also find it funny that guys are saying champion all the way when the mechanics at the dodge dealership are saying to replace them with ngk!
Sure, i can see getting 2.5 more if your maintenance is so bad and your plugs are so worn out like that. Then hell, ANY plug that is new would give PROPER mileage. What we are talking about is a well maintained and properly tuned truck and THEN adding a different type plug to get 2.5 MORE on top of the normal average MPG for a HEMI whichis 12-14 in town.

You can use whatever plug will produce a spark but Im sure the manufacture put Champs in there for a reason v/s NGK. Most guys use those NGKs in import engines.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:41 PM
NHHEMI
Professional

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Sure, i can see getting 2.5 more if your maintenance is so bad and your plugs are so worn out like that. Then hell, ANY plug that is new would give PROPER mileage. What we are talking about is a well maintained and properly tuned truck and THEN adding a different type plug to get 2.5 MORE on top of the normal average MPG for a HEMI whichis 12-14 in town.

You can use whatever plug will produce a spark but Im sure the manufacture put Champs in there for a reason v/s NGK. Most guys use those NGKs in import engines.
You guys jumping on him just assumed he was talking 2+ MPG over normal and not that his plugs had a lot of miles and he was talking of a return to normal. He is not the only one to stretch changing the plugs in the 5.7L well past the 30K as it is such a pain so why not give him the benefit of the doubt vs slamming him? or what about asking for more details before beating up on him? Is it really that big of a deal?

If you think NGK's are popular for imports only you need to go do some research. They are one of the most popular plugs out there for all mfg's not just for use in the 5.7L.

Yes, Dodge used Champions in the 5.7L for a reason = THEY ARE CHEAP! Certainly you can run them and if it makes you happy that is great. I am not telling you are anyone else what to run. The NGK 5306 however is an excellent plug for use in the 5.7L if you are not a fan of Champion plugs. Maybe that is the best way to put it and not offend anyone.

Last edited by NHHEMI; 03-04-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:18 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Relax. No one is slamming him. No one is beating him up. I just said in one post above yours pretty much the same you said about him leaving out the fact that he has very old and worn out plugs and while putting newer ones in got him 2.5 it also got him back to normal mpg.

No one is getting offended nor should they be. Last time I checked we are all grown and have opinions. If something i said hurts anyones feelings well Im sorry but at the same time, grow up. Words are simply that, words.

You can run $2 Champions or $5 NGKs or even $13 Pulstars. But if $2 Champions run as good as anything else and get the same performance, then why waste the money and use anything else?

Old 03-04-2011, 03:24 PM
tedberchtold
Rookie

thank you NHHEMI!
i did feel "slammed" and also i felt like i was pretty much called an outright LIAR!
nobody said anything about maybe his old plugs were worn or anything they just started talking about inflating this and that and theres no way a plug change will increase mpg's by 2. well yes it most certainly will sometimes! just depends on the situation.
anyhow im not PO'd about it but i do think it was quite rude and childish.
and imho i think champions are junk!
but like nhhemi said if thats what some guys like to run then have at it! im not going to judge anyone on spark plug choice!
so with that being said have fun with your tune up and i hope your truck runs well for you as im sure it will!
and guys dont hesitate to call your local dodge dealer's service dept. anytime you have a question! they are usually more than willing to help you out! its just another usefull tool to have like these forums in case you have a question!

Quick Reply: doing tune up soon, recomendations for plugs/wires?