3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

doing tune up soon, recomendations for plugs/wires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:47 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Like i said, getting 2.5 more MPG on a well maintained engine just from changing plugs just aint happening. If that was the case EVERYONE would be jumping on that band wagon.

Sorry if some of you think disagreeing is childish or rude but failing to tell all the pertinent info like having a .065 gap and 125k on the plugs, then changing them and THEN getting 2.5 mpg more, well thats a whole different story right there.

You want accurate info, give all the information. Plain and simple. Info was left out, things were assumed based off the info that was given and now people got their feelings hurt.

For those of you that want to use whatever plugs you want, use them. I promise you they will ignite a spark and burn the fuel.

Bottom line is this, threads like this on plugs or tires or brakes or fuel octane and everything else are 95% always opinionated and based off personal experience.

As for the placement and location of the fuel filter, it is fine where it is. In all the years that manufactures have been putting fuel pumps and filters in the tanks I havent ever seen a filter go bad UNLESS someone deviously put something in the tank like sugar. With that being said, a replacement sock filter can be bought and replaced. Dropping the tank is as simple as removing two nuts on the straps and disconnecting the electrical harness's and fuel lines.

The PCM does control everything including the injector pulse rate and auto shut down of the coils. As long as the PCM provides power to the coils which fires the plug, there will be a spark. Ignition timing is in depth and Im not going to get into that.

On a side note, when I had my custom built Olds 350 that was copied from Edelbrocks building prints, they (and I) used Champion racing plugs and dynoed at 397hp. Could I have used NGK? Sure I could. I could have used anything.

Not chosing sides here because Ive intentionally tried to to put names out there but I dont see anything incorrect with MikeHTallys' last post.

Yes pumps have been in tanks for years now as have the filters. Long gone are the days where a fuel pump is on the side of the block and a filter at the carb inlet. Manufactures have purposely tried to remove components from the engine to free up power and also as a fuel saving technique. The same applies with e-fans and e-water pumps. It is well known that you should not (not to say you cant) drive a ride with less than 1/4 tank of fuel because the fuel helps keep the pump cool. With that being said, doing so helps the longevity of your pump.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:20 PM
tedberchtold
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got to say i laugh alot on these forums when people post to a thread throwing all kinds of numbers out and some sort of technical info trying to make it look like they know so much! especially when they give twice as much info than what is actually needed to explain something!
im not sure what context the posts about the fuel filter were meant to be read in but the fuel filters are what they refer to as "non-serviceable" in other words theyre really not meant to be changed out unless that is something really goes wrong and it has to be replaced, usually along with the fuel pump.
and yes fuel filters have been in "SOME" gas tanks for years as im sure we ALL allready know.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:43 PM
tedberchtold
Rookie

"You want accurate info, give all the information. Plain and simple. Info was left out, things were assumed based off the info that was given and now people got their feelings hurt. "

if your referring to my posts im pretty sure i was not asking for accurate info nor did i need it! and your right people "assumed" things and now excuses are being given lol!
nobody said "theres no way to get 2.5 mpg gain from changing the plugs on a well maintained engine" did they?
NOPE!
it was said there was no way changing the plugs could get a 2.5 mpg increase! well yup there sure is.
as for the filter "being fine where it is" thats your opinion and im sure the vast majority of us would like to be able to change it out with ease instead of dropping the tank which by the way thank you so much for explaining that brain bender of a chore!

Last edited by tedberchtold; 03-11-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

Stay away from the Chinese E3 spark plugs.

Get the O.E.M. (American) Champion Copper spark plugs. Made In The U.S.A. for an American truck.

Leave the Japanese Spark plugs (Nippondenso & N.G.K.) for the Asian cars and the German spark plugs (Bosch) for the European cars.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:33 PM
tedberchtold
Rookie

powerubi, i would say go with what works best!
and what seems to be working very well right now is ngk's in dodge rams as evidenced by quite a few guys on here having good luck with them and also we have dodge mechanics and parts store guys recommending them for dodge trucks as well!!!!
now im not saying that this is the best plug to use in your ram by any means i mean if you have good luck with whatever plug you like to use thats great but i am saying there is overwhelming evidence to show that NGK'S are NOT just for foreign cars!!! as a sidenote whoever decided that ngk's were a foreign car plug anyway?? is this just what people are assuming by years of what they have heard people say? or is this coming from some hard fact data that can be looked up?

by the way 3 of the 4 ngk spark plug factories are in california, chicago and west virginia! good ole made in the u.s.a.!!

March 23rd 2010. NGK Spark Plug Recognized by General Motors as a 2009 Supplier of the Year!!!
that doesnt sound foreign to me?
they also sponsor some of the most competitive teams in the NHRA, IHRA, NASCAR, AMA, APBA.

Last edited by tedberchtold; 03-11-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

tedberchtold,

I guess I am just from the old school of sticking with factory parts. You do not see very many people with Audis, Kias, or Toyotas using AC Delco, Champion, or Motorcraft spark plugs. I am not one to use these foreign suppliers on my American vehicles.

There is more to the term, Made In The U.S.A. Sure a foreign company can make something in the U.S.A. Look at some B.M.W.s, Mercedes', and Toyotas. They build some vehicles here but they are still foreign companies.

I am for supporting the American economy by supporting American companies with American manufacturing. America needs our help right now. Asia does not seem to have the same economy/unemployment problems that the U.S.A. has. We The People, need all the help we can get.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:46 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Feve74
Is your best defense really 50 KiloVolts and the fuel filter location? The input to the plug is quite a bit more than 50 KV and I don't really care where the filter is. It can still be replaced. Unless you have a Masters degree in Engineering, I'm not going to argue with you. Do us all a favor and only give advice if you know what you're talking about.
Defense of what? Prove that any of what I said is wrong. Plug voltage can be more than 50K. Some are still less. So what? Why would anyone replace something that is nearly a "lifetime" part? Keep your opinions of my knowledge to yourself. Like I said, it's apparent you've never watched a plug fire.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:35 AM
tedberchtold
Rookie

well let me start by saying i just put ac delco's in my wifes kia sedona back in octoboer because thats what was recommended to me by the service clerk when we were in having a steering knuckle fixed at the kia garage.

and i find it interesting that you would rather not buy a part from a foreign company even if your fellow americans are building it right here in the USA!!!

our economy sucks and these people are working because of these companies!
i work for SUBARU bulding three of their cars and also the toyota camry! both foreign companies but they have put 5,000 of my fellow hoosiers to work for the last 22 years now and guess what?
those are the best built highest rated subaru's in the world!
there are also 3 [plants that make the camry two of which are in the states and out of three consumer reports stated that the the two american companies have better quality overall including less waranty claims and defects.
point is your damn hard pressed to find a true 100% american only company and im darn glad people like subaru and toyota are here to give us jobs so i can provide a decent life for my family!
I support americans and the products we build!!!!

Old 03-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

tedberchtold,

I appreciate the fact that a few foreign companies are building some of their vehicles in the U.S.A. (to avoid import taxes mainly) and that you and a few thousand Americans are working in America for these companies. That is a small drop in a large bucket though as far as benefiting the U.S. economy. These foreign companies, after paying a small portion to their American employees, take the majority of the profits back to their homeland, Asia in the case of Honda, Subaru, Toyota, etc. This fact helps the Asian economy and hurts the American economy.

It helps the U.S. economy much more when an American car; owned by an American company (Chrysler Corporation, Ford Motor Company, and General Motors Corporation), designed in America and built in America, is bought. The majority of the money stays here in America helping the U.S.A. the most.

I support Americans and the products we build for OUR benefit and not for another countries benefit!!!!

Quick Reply: doing tune up soon, recomendations for plugs/wires?