3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

type of oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 06:38 PM
NHHEMI
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rideon20z
i see that the oil filter thread got a lot of replies and a lot of back and forth !! always good to see everyones oppinion!

anyay i see some people are talking about FULL synthetic oil in there truck and some arent , so in my 04 hemi what type of oild should i run ? a full sythetic or just some 10w30 ? i also just picked up a wix oil filter for that and my 04 camry ill try those ! at my next oil change , i have been doing my own for years now and it always saves me $$$ seeing as the oil spots want 30 dollars each time , so let me know what you guys think i shoud run !
Only you can answer that question because it all depends on how long you want to run the oil and how much you want to spend. Everyone has different needs and wants so it is impossible to really say use this brand or that and that it would be best. There is no best and many oils can fit your needs to different levels.

With all of that said I personally am a strong believer in synthetics. I prefer them due to the benefits I have seen with them( better additive packs so the inside stays cleaner, better cold start protection, better heat protection, better overall wear protection, quieter engines, etc... ). I have run synthetics for a lot of years with nothing but good results.

The 5.7L HEMI sees another benefit to varying degrees( depends on brand used )with synthetic oil and that is a lesseing of the infamous HEMI Tick. You certainly can run a quality conventional oil and be just fine though for 3-5K. For me personally it is synthetics.

In your 04 you can run 0W, 5W, 0r 10W-30 and be fine. I personally would run 5W-30 year round but run what you want. 0W in the dead of winter is a popular thing to do for easier start ups. For brands I have my likes and dislikes just as most do. I will list the brands I like and would use bellow in no particular order. Obviously RP is my preferred brand but I am not pushing it above the others...

Premium "True" Synthetics:
Royal Purple
Redline
Amsoil ASL/ASM/SSO
Schaeffers 9000

Other Synthetics( Grp III ):
Kendall GT1
Valvoline Synpower
Pennzoil Ultra & Platinum
Quaker State Ultimate Durability( Horsepower )
Amsoil XL & OE

If conventional is what you decide on I like the following...

Castrol GTX
Valvoline
Pennzoil
Quaker State
Kendall

Old 01-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Mistwalker
Amateur

I prefer to use full synthetic in my vehicles. I use Mobile One in my truck and Royal Purple in my car which I change once a year on the car.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:21 PM
glass3222
Captain

I have been using only synthetic in my vehicles since 2002. I used to use Mobil 1 syn and was always very pleased with it. I changed it every 6-7.5k miles. I now use Amsoil and will be changing at about 20k mile intervals with it.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:33 AM
slvrdodge

i just switched to synthetic and im never going toput anything else in any of my vehicles my truck runs A LOT better, i felt a huge difference

Old 01-23-2011, 10:56 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by glass3222
I have been using only synthetic in my vehicles since 2002. I used to use Mobil 1 syn and was always very pleased with it. I changed it every 6-7.5k miles. I now use Amsoil and will be changing at about 20k mile intervals with it.

Have you ever seen what happens to Amsoil when left into an engine that long? What once started out as the proper viscosity oil starts to gradually thicken after about 6000 miles.
More than one independent tests show that 0w-30 Amsoil can be as thick as 20w-50 in as little as 12,000 miles. Yes, the protection properties are still good at higher mileage (getting thicker with prolonged heatings and coolings helps the oil maintain it's protective properties) but if it can't flow up into all the places it needs to be, it ain't doing the engine any good.

Although you don't have one, this is especially critical in an MDS Hemi for proper operation and will void your engine warranty, despite what Amsoil says. If the PCM reports viscosity out of range you can say bye-bye to engine warranty.

This is not a condemnation of Amsoil, it's good stuff, but there is a sacrifice they make for such longevity and that sacrifice can be detrimental to engine internals after prolonged use. Also, even Amsoil recommends changing the filter between oil changes to remove contaminates. Personally, if I'm going to change the filter, I'm going to change the oil that's carrying those contaminates to the filter.

If you intend to leave it in for 20k miles, then at least pay for an oil test at around 10k to give you a good idea on how that Amsoil is doing. Blackstone gives away the testing kits for free and only charges $25 for a complete analysis. It's worth the one time small fee to know just how long you should be running your oil for...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 01-23-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:07 PM
glass3222
Captain

Hammer, I am planning to get it tested at 7500 miles and see how it is. A buddy of mine (and a mechanic for a living) was using it in his 04 hemi and had it tested at 7500 miles, 12,000 miles and 17,000 miles and it was always good. He is now using it in his 06 2500 MC Hemi with no issues at the 20k interval. His dad is using amsoil in his duramax with 25k mile change interval since it was new, and it now has 185,000 miles.

As for the filter, amsoil now has extended life filters that are good for 15k to 25k miles, I am using to 25k filter.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 PM
rideon20z
Veteran

so if i switch to a full synthetic i can let it go for about 6000 miles ? and the filter also ? well if it will run better and last me a little bit longer and give me better protection it sounds like im sold ! i will do a 1/2 and 1/2 oil change next time and then convert after that , HAMMER with the wix filter what should i run ! your the man ill take your word !!! and everyone elses ! thanks guys im convinced , also thanks for the feedback on the camry also i know this is a doge forum but i figured i would throw it in there !thanks again everyone !

Old 01-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

There is absolutely nothing wrong with today's conventional motor oil. It is vastly improved from years past (anything beyond 15-20 years ago).

With that said, I will only use synthetic (Mobil 1) motor oil. It is a little bit more in price, than conventional oil, but a lot better in quality/protection!

Quick Reply: type of oil