3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Time to say goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:16 AM
gt4660
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to say goodbye

Well after 2.5 yrs in the Megacab I had to let it go. 9 miles per gallon was killing me so it was time to down grade. Loved the truck and it will be missed.

Good luck to all that stick with it.

Greg

Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I feel your pain. 9mpg does suck and IDK how any manufacture can even make such an poorly efficient ride.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:43 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Greg, with the price of gas going up, up, up, I don't think you'll be alone... I'm starting to regret putting 2" of lift and more aggressive tires on my Grand Cherokee. Cost me a good 3-4 mpgs and that's my daily driver.
The truck, I could just let sit in the driveway and look pretty if I had to, but the Jeep isn't a whole lot more efficient anymore. What used to be a solid 8 mpg advantage using the Grand Cherokee has been halved...

Old 02-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel you. My Ram gets about 10mpg. I thought about taking the lift off, going down to small tires, etc... That would probably buy me back about 4-6 mph is all, hardly worth it. My solution instead was to buy a little beater gas sipping car that I use exclusively to drive to and from work. Its a Suzuki Swift, looks like ****, but it gets 46mpg and it only cost me $1500. It paid for itself in just 6 months, and i've now had it for 3 years. So now I don't feel bad about 10 mpg in the truck when I do decide to drive it. It has helped my fuel budget immensly and is extending the life of my pickup too since I no longer use it as my daily driver. So it has been a win/win for me.

My other vehcile (the one the wife drives and hauls the kids) isn't great on gas, but sometime you make those sacrifices to have certain utilities in a vehicle to fit the family and your way of life. It's a '08 Aspen with the 5.7 Hemi. It does ok since it has MDS. We get about 14-16 in town but have seen as high as 22-23 on the hwy. Since we do a lot of hwy driving, it is worth keeping it for the utility of it (seats 8, tows 9000lbs, etc...) even though the city mpgs aren't the best. Wish I had the Hemi in my truck instead though.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:27 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

yep, beater 4 bangers can't be beat, LOL.

I had the opportunity to keep my step-dad's '01 Hyundai Accent when he passed away, but I couldn't do three vehicles just for me and no way was I giving up the truck or the Jeep. I ended up selling it for my mom in '08 when he passed away. The chick who bought it got a great deal cause it was mint, had under 40k miles on it and I sold it for $2500 (KBB retail was $2800 at the time). The couple of months I drove it I averaged 32 mpg all around and could almost eek out 40 if I kept it under the speed limit on the highway.
Now I'm wishing I'd have found a way to keep the 3rd vehicle...

Old 02-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is worth it to have a little beater car. I love that I can treat it like crap and I don't care. Throw my McGriddle wrappers in the back seat. Oops, spilled some coffee - who cares. Neighborhood kids put a dent in the fender - doesn't really matter, its got 10 other dents just like it. It's kinda liberating to have that kind of twisted freedom with a car where you don't care about it because it serves only one purpose - get good gas mileage. I have liability only insurance on it, so that is cheap as dirt too.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:56 PM
AJOSSY
Amateur

I don't feel so bad with my 02 4.7.

I have been getting 16 or better on the highway and 13 or so around town.

I also have a Yugo that I paid $100 five years ago... still going strong, gets 30+ MPG!

Old 02-01-2011, 06:02 PM
96cobravert

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
I think it is worth it to have a little beater car. I love that I can treat it like crap and I don't care. Throw my McGriddle wrappers in the back seat. Oops, spilled some coffee - who cares. Neighborhood kids put a dent in the fender - doesn't really matter, its got 10 other dents just like it. It's kinda liberating to have that kind of twisted freedom with a car where you don't care about it because it serves only one purpose - get good gas mileage. I have liability only insurance on it, so that is cheap as dirt too.
Could not have said it any better, however me having 5 vehicle's doesnt make the wife happy......... DMV loves me tho, almost gets a monthly check from me. Beaters are the untaped freedom for those that are OCD about there cars and trucks. my beater has so many dents, we call it "the green jelly"

Old 02-02-2011, 09:06 AM
gt4660

We had 3 vehicles plus a motorcyle at the house so i didnt want another one, lol. We really liked the truck for road trips with the kids and dogs but i guess the dogs will stay at home from now on.

I traded it in for a 2011 hyundia Sonota. Lowered my payment and 4X the milage. I still have a Jeep Rubicon, 91 Ford F150 4x4, and my harley. I havent driven the car much since the snow storm hit the morning after I picked it up. Not looking back, in the long run i will save a ton of money.

i do have a Superchips programmer for it and a 2 inch leveling kit from Top Gun customs I never installed that i am going to put up for sale. So if anyone is interested hit me up.

Quick Reply: Time to say goodbye