3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Leveling opinions welcome

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 05:52 PM
ricer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling opinions welcome

I just recently purchased a 2006 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 and I am looking into leveling. Please post opinions and possible concerns I might consider. Also will I need to replace the shocks if I do level? My truck is pictured in my garage if you care to take a look. Thanks for your time!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:19 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's a 4x2, so FWIW, I did a 2 1/2" level over two years ago. Still on the OEM shocks.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:20 PM
dakotatrevor
Professional

I did a 2" Hell Bent Steel leveling kit on mine. (06 4x4 1500) I had a fair amount of troubles with the lower strut bolts, as well as the control arm bolts. I had to cut most of them out, and press them out of the bushings. After the level, I have developed a vibration in 4x4, but have not had a chance yet to determine if the level was the cause or not.

I did not replace the struts, and still have not figured out why people believe that they need to be longer. Where the top of the strut mounts is moved down with the spacer.

Here are a few pics of mine during/after the level:
Name:  p_00108.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  77.0 KB
Name:  p_00111.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  38.9 KB
Name:  p_00119.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  70.3 KB
Name:  p_00137.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  65.1 KB

Old 02-07-2011, 08:43 PM
dndplus5

I just purchased a 2007 1500 QC 4X4 5.7 Hemi with 275X60R20's and was wanting to do the same thing, I've been viewing ebay and there are a ton of these leveling kits out there each with different materials and heights. Which would be the best for my application?

Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 PM
ricer
Veteran

Thanks for the replies so far, just kinda up in the air with this issue right now guess I will have to do some thinking on it.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:07 AM
badmpr1

Well, I literally just finished installing a 2.5" Top Gun Customz leveling kit on an 08 QC 4x4 Sport an hour ago. As per the instructions, all I had to do was remove the upper ball joint, sway bar end link, and strut bolts. It was semi-tricky fishing the struts out with the lower arms and tie rods on, but it was what I consider a very basic and easy install.

I finished it in about an hour and twenty minutes. I'm not sure why dakotatrevor had so much trouble removing things that for me were unnecessary to remove in the first place(with the exception of the lower strut bolt). At the worst, you may have to go to O'Rieley's and borrow a ball joint press to get the lower bolt out if it is frozen. I'm just saying, don't let his bad experience scare you away from trying it. Other than that, just be careful with the brake lines.

I also strongly recommend Top Gun Customz leveling kits. They are very affordable, yet the best built kits you can buy. I've installed 4 different leveling kits from them for different trucks and have yet to be let down. ALL stock hardware is retained.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:03 PM
dakotatrevor
Professional

Originally Posted by badmpr1
I finished it in about an hour and twenty minutes. I'm not sure why dakotatrevor had so much trouble removing things that for me were unnecessary to remove in the first place(with the exception of the lower strut bolt). At the worst, you may have to go to O'Rieley's and borrow a ball joint press to get the lower bolt out if it is frozen. I'm just saying, don't let his bad experience scare you away from trying it. Other than that, just be careful with the brake lines.
I agree, don't let my experience scare you off from it, it 'should' be a simple install.

Here's what happened on mine. It all went fine until it came to removing the lower strut bolt. On both sides these were seized, bad. We tried everything (3/4" impact, air hammer...) except heat on these, because you cannot replace the bushing for the lower strut mount, you have to replace the whole control arm. To remove this we decided to put in in a press would be the best way. 3 out of the 4 control arm bolts were seized as well. These NEED to be free anyways to give it a proper alignment after you install your lift. We tried everything on these, and ended up cutting them off with the torch/sawzall. Once out we pressed them out with our 50 ton press. When they finally let go, everything on the bridge of the press jumped.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:02 PM
amolinari9

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
Mine's a 4x2, so FWIW, I did a 2 1/2" level over two years ago. Still on the OEM shocks.
I put in a 1.5" 2 years ago, but now I'm putting in a three. Do you think I'll need control arm extensions for this?

Quick Reply: Leveling opinions welcome