3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Need advice on exhaust system upgrade with specific requirements

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:31 PM
a34
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on exhaust system upgrade with specific requirements

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to upgrade the exhaust on my Ram. It's a 2004 5.7 1500 Quad cab with 3.92 gears. Currently has CAI and superchips installed.

I tow an enclosed trailer in the summer and I'm looking mainly to get better mileage and power for towing.

I am not looking for a loud exhaust, and I want a true dual exhaust, and I don't want anything crazy expensive. So, with those parameter's do you guys have any advice on what works best?

Not to make matters complicated, but I am considering adding a hi-po cam. Any recommendations in that area that would work with the exhaust and CAI?

Thanks guys !!!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:30 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I also have an 04 5.7 truck. When you are wanting to do your cam, please LMK and I can do it for you.

The changing of exhaust is not going to make your mileage increase. You could consider changing gears to 456s so the truck does bog down as much when towing and can climb the RPMs easier with less strain.

If you are not looking for more sound or duals then I honestly would do nothing but change out the restrictive Y pipe on the exh.

As for cams, PM me with any Qs you have. But if you are going to keep the Superchips and not get into custom tuning then I would look at either the Crazy Jay, the Sidewinder or the Comp Cams 260.

Cam new is $400-500 (used 250 +/-)
6.1 valve springs, 6.1 push rods, cam/crank bolts are $100
head gaskets and head bolts are $100
oil, coolant, 1 qrt of AFT4 is about $100

You need special tools to change the valve springs and pull the damper.

As said before, if you got any Qs feel free to PM me.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:48 PM
a34
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, will do!!

Just getting started in the research of this.

Quick Reply: Need advice on exhaust system upgrade with specific requirements