3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Do I have to dump my RAM??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 06:25 AM
Mattis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have to dump my RAM??

I have imported a 2006 model RAM to Europe with original SAE/DOT approved headlights. A couple of days ago I was pulled aside for a random technical vehicle check by the road-safety police. They pointed out that headlights in Europe must be ECE / E-code approved, and they gave me 30 days to change the headlights. If I fail they will simply confiscate the licence plates and the car documents.
I've spent hours on the web trying to find ECE approved headlights for my car, but so far failed. Does any of you know if such headlights are being produced as OEM or aftermarket parts?
Appreciate your help with this one!

Old 02-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Matt99
Champion

you need to find what the difference is between SAE/DOT and ECE/Ecode and you can possibly upgrade them or maybe pay someone to upgrade them

the only difference I can find is POSSIBLY amber color and you need DRL.

If the amber is the problem, the 2006 heads can be replaced by 2007/2008 heads and that will fix the problem most likely. If the DRL arnt on, you need a shop with a starscan to turn em on (import settings)

Old 02-18-2011, 07:02 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed, finding out the definition of the code and what exactly it means and what you need to pass means everything

Old 02-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Mattis

US/CAN headlights should be labelled SAE/DOT, while European should be labeled E or ECE. The actual difference is that while SAE/DOT lights have "cutoffs" only limiting the height of the beam, ECE lights should have "cutoffs" limiting hight and width of the beam. What you as a driver notice is that the ECE beam cast longer light on the curb side than on the driver's side, while the SAE/DOT beam casts an even beam in full width. The ECE beam is said to reduce glare for oncoming traffic. This effect is created by the prismatic pattern either in the glass in front of the bulb or in the reflector, and cannot be obtained by simply lowering the beam on the driver's side.
If you are interested you can read about the details here:

http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature...n_Lights.shtml

Old 02-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Mattis

Don't mean to spam this post, but I'm really desperate for help here.......

Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 AM
gn300
Professional

If the dot told you, they should be able to tell you what you need or the dealer.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:02 PM
miketrock
Rookie

Do you see other American Pick-up trucks there? Ask them where to get parts. Talk to people and garages in poland and ask what they would do. Do they have inspections and inspection stations similar to here in the U.S. ? What are some headlight manufacturers ? Sylvania, etc., etc. go on their sites.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Mattis

I do see other US trucks here, but they all seem to be fitted with SAE/DOT headlights with amber. I guess I was really unlucky to get pulled over by a jealous cop who's got a fetish for US trucks and who knows the "flaws"............... And by the way, we do have annual technical vehicle inspections, but they don't really care about issues which are not directly compromising safety (e.g. brakes, blown lights, tire wear etc.). I also have a 91 model 6,2 ltr. Suburban, but this one was exported with a euro-setup and already had the e-code headlights. I don't know if the RAM was ever originally built for export to Europe. If it wasn't I am unlikely to find any approved headlights.............

Old 02-18-2011, 06:02 PM
EGDOD2011

well if can aafford to import a truck you can afford to have custom style headlights made by some company am pretty sure there is some company on the net that can make the exact headlight you need just go for it!!!

Old 02-18-2011, 06:04 PM
EGDOD2011

dude i love the black mumba style truck All black errrr thing

Quick Reply: Do I have to dump my RAM??