3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

03 1500 4.7L gas mileage help- newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:24 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the throttle body is the thing that controls the amount of air the engine takes in, It is located on top of the intake manifold and is attached to a black box (Engine Cover/hat) via flex hose with a hose clamp. To get to the throttle body you need to remove the flexible hoses on both sides of the hat and then remove both bolts on the bottom of the hat. Then just pull the thing off and the throttle body should be exposed.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:25 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Googling images always helps too

Old 04-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mick74
Thanks weedahoe , I definitely plan on doing a tune up and TRY to granny the throttle a bit more. I will take you advice on what to replace and clean, any other parts to replace while I am into it? I am not up on all the mods out there but i am seriously considering a cold air intake, they claim to help 1-2 mpg, ill take all i can get. Again, Thanks for the advice.
Cold air intakes hurt mileage at least mine did! Ask Hammer about them.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
I have a 2001 Durango 4.7 and I usually get about 10-12 mpg average. I just went to my local oreilley auto and picked up a 3" Spectre flex intake tube and a couple hose clamps and re did my intake setup. I gained about 2mpg city and 4-6 mpg highway. And it only cost me $30!
Are you sure about those numbers cause there is NO WAY just changing Intakes will do that for you unless your old one was totally clogged and could barely pull any air through it..

Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually, a poorly designed intake will help mileage, but at the same time rob you of HP and Torque. The better the CAI, the more performance but at the expense of fuel.

Poor designed intakes pull in a lot of hot air from the engine bay, more so than even the stock setup which almost always has an opening or channel in the air box to draw cooler air from under the truck or a wheel well. The resulting hot air will cause the PCM to lean the mix, meaning there is less fuel dumped and the A/F ration increases.
Loss fuel put into the mix, means that you are obviously going to see better gas mileage.

A true CAI, the Vararam is a good example, which draws huge volumes of cool air from the space between the upper and lower bumper. The colder air is more dense and causes the PCM to dump more fuel. This gives better power gains, but at a cost of burning more fuel. I'd buy a Vararam in a second, but the air intake points are where I'll often be pushing muddy, nasty water. Can't be risking no hydrolock for the sake of a few HP.

I love the guys who put the cheaper CAIs in that don't even come with a heat shield and draw the air from engine level who claim they get seat of the pants power increases & better gas mileage. True, you may see a modest mpg gain, but it's often offset by the fact you have to give more throttle to achieve the same acceleration. But there is no way power is gained, unless the laws of physics cease to exist in their trucks...

Old 04-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Bigboytoys
Professional

I must have a freak of nature truck...I am averaging about 21-23 mpg on the autobahn @100 kmh/60mph

Old 04-22-2011, 05:56 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigboytoys
I must have a freak of nature truck...I am averaging about 21-23 mpg on the autobahn @100 kmh/60mph
That's not too out of line, the EPA rates the 4.7 in a 2WD Ram at 19 mpg highway. I was riding shotgun in a QC 4.7 4x2 last weekend going to play in a golf outing and the guy's truck averaged just a hair under 20 mpg on the round trip 'cross state and back and we WEREN'T doing any 60 mph on the interstate, 75 would be more like it, LOL... Bone stock, soccer mom'ish tires...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 04-22-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Bigboytoys
Professional

Cool...Tires are 265/70 17s....In order for me to get this truck, I had to promise the wifey that I was not going to play with it like I did my 'stang or my old B2300....German women....they just don't understand a man's way of life....sheesh! LOL!

Old 05-14-2013, 12:47 AM
FireballJohndenver

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
I have a 2001 Durango 4.7 and I usually get about 10-12 mpg average. I just went to my local oreilley auto and picked up a 3" Spectre flex intake tube and a couple hose clamps and re did my intake setup. I gained about 2mpg city and 4-6 mpg highway. And it only cost me $30!

Thats Awsome I Just picked up a 2003 Dodge durango I am clearly seeing Bad MPG but it is running ruough it needs probably need NGK Plugs maybe even some good Coils I will Look intoo the Spectra Flex Intake

I notice a lot of people say to get the CIA K&N I would Buy it if it helped more than the Spectre Flex but for $30 if you pick Any MPG Up your saving

I Joined this forum to get better MPG on my new durango

I Know one thing for sure if your going to ever do any towing dont use a gas vehicle at all

When I went to Pick this durango In Las Vegas NV from sandiego

My dad took His new 2007 dodge 3500 1 ton with the cummings its stock never been touched has great power we towed a empty car trailer weighed maybe 600 pounds.

from My Town of Ramona to Las Vegas Nevada Empty we only used Half of a Tank we got 20.1 MPG on AVG that the computer showed.

we Picked the Durango up loaded it on the trailer drove to Jean NV about 50 miles outside of Vegas and re filled up for $373 a gallon

Only took $77 in Gas

we did the Math drove 377 Miles and i think we got 18 gallons i dont rmember exactly but i did the Match at the Pump we Got 18.6 MPG

That was mostly Empty with 30 miles of towng

now with a full tank we went from Jean NV back to Ramona Ca only used 3/4 of a Tank AVG 14.6 MPG towing 6000 pounds

Quick Reply: 03 1500 4.7L gas mileage help- newbie questions