3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Aero AT3030 with or with out the factory resonator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 PM
02dodgeram5.9
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aero AT3030 with or with out the factory resonator?

Got a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 with the Hemi in it and was lookin at puttin in an Aero Turbine 3030 muffler in but just wasnt sure on what to do with the resonator? Do i keep it in or do i take it out? So i thought i would get your opinions on this and see if any of you have done one of these options.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 PM
ramjamhemi
Professional

I have an AT3030 on my 05' Hemi QC. I kept the resonator, and I'm glad I did. There are times when it will drone just slightly around 65 mph, but either letting off of the gas or giving it a bit more gas will make it go away instantly. The drone is not really that bothersome to me, but my wife will make a comment. It makes it worse for passengers on the right hand side of the truck because that is the side the exhaust travels on.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:17 PM
02dodgeram5.9
Professional

Now how loud is the exhaust with the resonators on..i am wanting a good rumble to it but i dont want straight pipe loud either. Almost thought about takin the first resonator off and keepin the second one on..but then again i dont know how loud it would be..i just dont know what to do..but the way you are sayin is that your truck sounds good with both resonators on

Old 02-23-2011, 12:10 AM
DohCanadian
Amateur

I got the AT3030XL with the built in resonator.

Got it installed on my truck whilst keeping the trucks resonator, exhaust had a nice tone, but too peaceful.

So I got the shop to remove the resonator, best decision I made. Exhaust still sounds great, and has a nice throaty grumble at idle and definitely sounds good driving along.

So I recommend taking the resonator off.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:27 AM
superfordman

I currently have an at3030 on my truck and it sounds pretty wicked, very deep and throaty. But like said about without a resonator it can have some drone especially on the right side which I how my exhaust is ran. I might consider switching mine out in a while for a 3030xl just to see the difference. If you plan on having passengers and want to have a civilized conversations sometimes I'd consider keeping the res but if not, go straight 3030 baby, you wont be disappointed!

Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You should take videos of before and after any work on the exhaust

Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 AM
02dodgeram5.9
Professional

Yea..i am thinkin goin with a at303o with the resonator..i watched some videos online but i just dont think watchin those videos do justice..so without doin it myself by trial and error, i will never know..so we will give it a shot once and see what happens

Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 AM
PhillyEagleKGD

I kept the resonator with mine and I am very pleased with the results. It is slightly louder than stock at idle but will definitely make some noise when you stomp on it. As mentioned above, there can be a very slight drone at highway speeds, but nothing too bad. I wanted something that could be loud if I pushed it, but still was mellow enough for driving around with the family. This muffler was the perfect fit for me. I would highly recommend keeping the resonator.

Quick Reply: Aero AT3030 with or with out the factory resonator?