3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Leveling kit install and a question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:37 AM
bigdaddyII
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling kit install and a question.

I ordered a 2" leveling kit from Fat Bobs a few weeks ago for my 02 1500, 2wd. I haven't had a chance to install it until tonight. Originally my truck sat down 2.75" in the front:

After I installed the kit at work tonight, the front sits .5" higher then the rear, which to me looks a bit silly:

I've heard that it will settle, and I drove it around a bit with no change. If it settles even that .5", I will be happy. I will be unable to have an alignment done until Saturday, but would an alingment help bring the front down some? I measured the spacers and they are 2" from where the spring sits to the top, I did not re use the stock spring isolators either and the springs were installed back in their recess on the LCA.

Any input is welcome, and appreciated. I hope the pics show up, I'm doing this from my phone.

Oh, and the truck rides the same (except higher lol), doesn't pull, but an alignment is necassary as the front tires sit sort of like this..... \ /

Old 02-23-2011, 06:43 AM
Matt99
Champion

yea mine did the same tire wise, they were horrible until the alignment!

they will settle over a month or so. I think it looks a ton better

Old 02-23-2011, 08:31 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If nothing else, later on you could put some 1" blocks in the rear.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:16 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain

Thanks guys, I have put 50 miles or so on it since last night and it seems to have settled a bit. Im just not used to seeing a gap at front wheels I guess. I was able to set up an appt to have it aligned after work in the morning, so that will be taken care of. Will any additional settling affect the alignment?

I do love the way it sits from the drivers seat.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:12 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

settling of the components will not affect the alignment. Sounds like you are good to go

Old 02-24-2011, 04:40 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain

I just got back from the alignment shop, truck seems to behave better on the highway. I noticed on my way home this morning at highway speeds it wandered a bit, thats gone now. Thanks for the answers Weed and Matt. Now to find bigger tires...........

Question:
I have Rancho RS5000 shocks on the truck that are stock length (advertised as 0" lift/ drop). They are around 6 months old, and put on before I even toyed with the idea of leveling. It is apparent now that they are topping out pretty good on certain roads I travel. I would hate to replace a 6 month old shock. I have heard of shock extensions, but mostly they seem to have went the way of the dodo bird. The only ones I can find are on summit and made by Mr. Gasket, the problem I have is that they only say universial. Surely all shocks mounting studs are not the same size. What are my options short of buying another set of shocks? (if I have to change the fronts, I will change the backs too, or I will forever be bothered until I do.......) Thanks in advance for any helpful advice, tips, or ideas.

Last edited by bigdaddyII; 02-25-2011 at 12:35 AM. Reason: to add ?

Quick Reply: Leveling kit install and a question.