3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Trac lok LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:03 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trac lok LSD?

I'm about to order a 4.56 gear package (4x4) for my truck. I have 3.55 w/ open diff right now. I obviously want a lsd, but I just spent $ on an engine swap (among other things) and gears are expensive, so an Auburn or Detroit is a little out of budget.

If I can find a deal on a low mileage trac-lok, should I go for it? Or am I better off waiting until I can afford a better one? Thanks

Old 02-27-2011, 10:12 PM
T-Muns
Veteran

I should mention I'm going to pay someone to do the gears because it's not something I want to take a chance on screwing up. That's why I'm wondering if I should get the lsd done now.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:17 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it's probably a good thing to only open up the diff once. I'm in the same boat, kinda. Different gears and a different LSD will probably run about $1,200. Lotsa moola for questionable return.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:49 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree. If you know you are going to get an LSD later and you are already going to pay someone to do the work for you, then i would wait and save some coin and do it once

Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 AM
T-Muns
Veteran

So I guess that's a "no" on the trac-lok?

Old 02-28-2011, 12:25 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thats up to you. I had one that came with my truck and worked fine for what I needed. The only reason I changed was because i ran across a deal i could not refuse

Old 02-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Dana Trac-Loc is barely effective when new. They are practically useless after about 50,000 miles because it is a clutch-type (constantly wearing) limited-slip. Your money would be better spent on a gear-type limited slip such as a Detroit Trutrac.

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Dana Trac-Loc and a Dodge Ram & Jeep Wrangler with (factory) gear-type limited slips (in addition to the factory lockers). Let me tell you...night and day difference. I can go pretty far off road with the Ram & Wrangler in 2WD before I need to engage 4WD.

Do it once and do it right.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:44 PM
T-Muns
Veteran

Thanks guys. I think I will keep looking for a deal on a better lsd or locker....might as well just get em done all at once.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:21 AM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem. A wise choice. It is always better, yet tougher, to wait until you can do it right rather than being in a hurry and settling for something that you will not be happy with in the long run. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Trac lok LSD?