3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Battery Drain Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:26 PM
btessier2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drain Issue

Ok so heres the thing. 2003 Ram 1500 4.7l. SLT 4x4. I started out with a battery drain problem. it would happen over night. Pulled the #51 Fuse and that went away. then i had to replace the starter. with the new starter it seems to be drawing on the battery overnight. voltage will be down when i go to start it. it will either roll over really slow and hard and start or else it will just click once. then ill turn the key off then back on and it will roll real slow then start. but once the battery has charged awhile it starts fine like there is nothing wrong. the battery is 6 months old and the starter was put in 3 weeks ago. im drawing a blank. they tested my alternator and battery and said both are fine. is it possible the alternator can draw even though the truck is shut off?? please help!!!!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:06 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alternators don't "draw". What you want to do is connect a meter inline with the battery (engine off) and see how much is being drawn. Pull fuses 'til the draw stops. I believe the draw should be < 1/4 amp, but I'm not sure.

Quick Reply: Battery Drain Issue