3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

03-06 HEMI Tick

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Jon700r
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03-06 HEMI Tick

I've done a lot of research on the Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI and have found a LOT of complaints about their hemi's making a "ticking" sound, and it could be many things from something simple like an egr valve/exhaust leak, to something internal like a rod/valve.

My question is; how common is this issue? And how common is it to be internal? And as far as it being "normal" well..... any metal on metal sound in an engine is bad in my book.... That's why we change oil to try and prevent such things.

I'm looking at possibly buying an 06-07 HEMI Ram. I love how it looks and drives, oh and of course all the power it has. I won't be towing anything big, maybe a 17ft Cobia boat at the most. But hell, if it can't handle that I shouldn't be looking at a Dodge because my 1998 Crown Vic tows it haha

What is the possibility of the HEMI tick? It sounds too common like 90% of people having it. I work at a shop and do simple maintenance such as brakes, suspension, fluids ect... And out of all the HEMI's I can recall coming into my job, NONE have the tick.... I know the Chevy's are proven reliabile. But DAMN, they're so friggin ugly! And Ford trucks ride like crap, and are so uncomfortable. The Ram blows everyone out of the water; I just worry about the Tick! lol I know ball joints and tie rods are an issue, but that's a walk in the park compared to anything internal.

My first car was a lemon, I spent 9 grand on it when it was worth about $2,000 and ever since, I've tried my best to not buy anything unreliable. (So far I've done a great job).

Old 03-01-2011, 12:26 AM
bgbluram2
All Star

First off the Dodge is a very reliable truck and the Hemi has proven itself over the last 9 years to be a very reliable engine. The Hemi tick is a fairly common problem (although my 08 with nearly 50k doesn't have it) but it has never been proven as the cause of any failures. From what I understand it is likely normal valve train noise but Dodge owners are meticulous about their trucks which is why it is commonly discussed

There are a lot of guys on this forum with more than 120k miles on their Hemi's and they are still modding.

And a 17ft boat won't even be noticed behind an 06-07 Ram, many tow upwards of 30ft. RV's for what it's worth. Good luck in your hunt for a truck, the Ram is a good choice.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

The HEMI tick is a fact of life for most, except for a few "lucky" ones, me included. It has not been confirmed to be a problem. Good luck!

Old 03-01-2011, 06:49 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

IMO it is hit and miss for trucks just like the 4.7 and over heating issues. Sure we see more of it HERE because guys come here normally because they have problems and need help resolving them. So our data on this site is misleading and biased and would make you think it is really a huge issue.

The Dodge Ram and HEMI (in my book) is a very good and solid truck hands down.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:52 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine has had the "Hemi Tick" since the day I took it off the lot. Not loud, but if you listen for it, it's there. Truck runs like a top and gets worked hard on occasion without a single hiccup.
I have a good buddy with an '03 whose tick is a good bit louder than mine, has always had it and he just turned 150,000 miles.
I can live with a tick.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Duroc
Professional

I have an 07' ram and a 06' 300c and I don't notice a tick with either of them. Both have been great engines for me, going on 5 years on the 300c. Look for a truck that has been well maintained since you are looking at used and it should serve you well.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:29 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You'd be surprised at how many guys claim that they don't have it and I can hear it in their trucks right away.
I'm of the opinion that due to it's design, they ALL have a tick to some degree. Some just louder than others. I've never seen where anyone could show any engine issue that was directly related to it's normal tick...

Old 03-01-2011, 11:16 AM
dodge1hemi00
Veteran

Dads 07 had it since the day he bought and my 04 has it can't really tell unless u are really listing

Old 03-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Jon700r

Originally Posted by weedahoe
IMO it is hit and miss for trucks just like the 4.7 and over heating issues. Sure we see more of it HERE because guys come here normally because they have problems and need help resolving them. So our data on this site is misleading and biased and would make you think it is really a huge issue.

The Dodge Ram and HEMI (in my book) is a very good and solid truck hands down.
Good point; not as many people are going to join a forum without a problem.

Quick Reply: 03-06 HEMI Tick