3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Sick of spark plug ?'s, well heres a few more

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:23 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sick of spark plug ?'s, well heres a few more

OK, getting ready to pull the trigger on a tune up. I pulled the coil pack off just to check a plug and see what I am up against. The first one I tried seamed nearly stuck, and when I did get it to move it had that really scary cracking noise. So I skipped to the next one, which had the same outcome. Well, I kept at it (tightening and loosening the plug back and forth slightly) and finally got one off, which squeaked and squawked the entire way out. Is this normal? Do most of you get this while pulling the plugs? Or am I gonna have a relapse from one of my 2nd gen tune ups where I had to pull the head due to two broken plugs? This has got me really worried.

Also, I hear this and that about which plugs to get, and I'm sure most of it is just personal preference. But the take I am gathering about it is the original coppers will work just fine, but need to be changed more often, and if one splurges for the expensive ones they can just extend there maintenance intervals. Sound about right? I will probably swing for the cheap coppers, as I like to get under the hood once in a while and check up on everything anyway.

As always, thanks in advance for any info. I know these stupid spark plug questions are getting sickening (as I have been searching for days now!).

Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah the coil packs can be a PIA, but I think my major problem is I'm leary to exert too much force on one for fear of breaking something.

As far as the plugs go, copper works as well or better than any "premium" plug as far as performance goes and from what I've seen, Platinums tend to need to be pulled and re-gapped at about 30k anyway.

So if you are doing platinum plugs to not have to pull plugs at 30k, it ain't happening. So I see no advantage to going with anything but copper plugs...

Old 03-03-2011, 08:40 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Gotcha, hammer. Thanks.

Thats funny you say that about the plugs, because the fella at autozone said the cheap ones work, but the expensive ones will last much longer and do not have any issues with the gap changing do to the better metal used. Either way, I have made my mind up on going with the cheapies.

I forgot to add in the fact that my truck has 75K miles on it and I think the plugs are original (has Champions in it and they look like hell). Maybe that is why they are coming out so hard? Anybody hear of issues with plugs breaking in the hemi's?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:41 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yeah the coil packs can be a PIA, but I think my major problem is I'm leary to exert too much force on one for fear of breaking something.

Oh, and the coil pack came of like a dream come true... it was the plug that is scarier then hell.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:21 AM
nateroach
Veteran

There have been some threads that I have seen where guys had issues removing plugs and having broken plugs and or damaged threads in the heads, but not too many. I don't know if you have owned the truck since the last plug change, but anti seize on the threads go along way to avoid extraction issues down the road.

But as many others have said. Copper plugs, dielectric grease on the top, anti seize on the threads and our good for another 30K. Also make sure you don't over tighten them you can damage the aluminum heads. I believe std torque specs for plugs is ~11 lb*ft

nateroach

Old 03-03-2011, 02:53 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
Oh, and the coil pack came of like a dream come true... it was the plug that is scarier then hell.

Sh*t, I meant plugs.... Too many threads open at one time...

Yeah, I am leary as hell about pulling plugs from an aluminum head. I ain't broke one yet, but tried to get one out for a friend one time. He ended up having to have a shop pull the head...

Old 03-03-2011, 09:05 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Should have just got a diesel dummy.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:37 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
Should have just got a diesel dummy.

Hahahahaahha. I coulda bought my truck and another truck for the price of yours. I wanted a cummins bad, but it just wasn't justifiable.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:40 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Well, I will be changing the plugs out this weekend along with an oil change and passenger side tie rod (), so I will report back on how my plugs came out.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:46 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by olyelr
Hahahahaahha. I coulda bought my truck and another truck for the price of yours. I wanted a cummins bad, but it just wasn't justifiable.
Or bought that red one and kept the yellow one now thats what I'm talking about.

Quick Reply: Sick of spark plug ?'s, well heres a few more