3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

My 3rd Gen homemade mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:32 AM
OklaHemi
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet rig man

Old 03-12-2011, 04:18 PM
ROK-TEK
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so here is a shot of the 2 pieces that I am having cut. I get it back from the laser cutter on monday. im stoked to get this thing on my truck!

Name:  photo1.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  76.9 KB

Old 03-12-2011, 09:04 PM
BigHorn777
Professional

dude killer looking truck, I like the grill design and can not wait to see it finished. You might have to start selling them if it looks as good as it does on paper. Got a question for you, I see you have the Toyo M/t tires. How are they for noise, and wear? I am looking at getting tires some time in the next 2 months, but not sure what I want. I been thinking of Nitto Trail grapplers, or the Toyo M/T open country. Got a buddy who has the Nitto's and loves them. Any suggestions?

Old 03-13-2011, 12:40 AM
ROK-TEK

Originally Posted by BigHorn777
dude killer looking truck, I like the grill design and can not wait to see it finished. You might have to start selling them if it looks as good as it does on paper. Got a question for you, I see you have the Toyo M/t tires. How are they for noise, and wear? I am looking at getting tires some time in the next 2 months, but not sure what I want. I been thinking of Nitto Trail grapplers, or the Toyo M/T open country. Got a buddy who has the Nitto's and loves them. Any suggestions?

I cant wait to see it too! tires... I had the 37x13.5x20 toyo mt on the dodge for 30k miles. still had 50% tread if not more. As far as noise im not sure, a cummins with strait pipe is insane loud. I think they are decent though. I had 38x15.5 toyos on a superduty a while back as well. I love them. Now mud grapplers... my bud had them on his dodge in 38's and said they were not load, but they did not wear good at all. Not this could just be his experiance though. My father in law just got a set of the kumho tires in 37's and loves them. I think they look good as well. Now if your not looking for a 37 I would check out the cooper ssr or stt. Similar to toyo look and i have heard good stuff about them.

But me I will prob always get toyos. Lots of people hate them but whatever. they got amazing wear and i NEVER rotate tires or do anything by the book. Just drive! I can say one thing. maybe its just me but I seem to get nails and screws and junk in they toyos all the time

Old 03-14-2011, 10:34 PM
ROK-TEK

Ok so I got the grille frame back from the laser today. I did not like how the polished mesh piece turned out so im having it recut. It will be done tomorrow. I had to pull my grille off and test fit the trim at least and check it out. It fits awesome! ten times better than other ones out there. now this will be powder coated black and I am leaning towards powder coating the mesh piece black as well... thoughts?

Name:  IMG_2439.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  53.1 KB
Name:  IMG_2442.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  65.2 KB

Old 03-15-2011, 07:23 PM
BigHorn777
Professional

That looks really nice, it is to bad you couldn't chrome that. With the black truck and the Chrome accents it would fit in well with a black grill. At the very least I would flat black either the grill or the Cross and gloss black the other to set one off from the other. If I had to choose if I only had black well I'd would gloss the grill, and flat the cross. Just my opinion, but it would give it a shadowed look. Not sure you can do gloss, and flat with powder coatings??
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you? You could always cut it out of stainless and polish it... Either way I personally think it is really cool. Only problem I'd have is my Hella's, but I could always mount them on the bull bar... VERY NICE MAN!!!! Can not wait to see the final product....

Old 03-15-2011, 11:00 PM
ROK-TEK

alright guys! What ive been waiting for a long time! Dont mind the paint. I just rattle canned the trim tonight to get some pics and see how it looked. Ill have it blasted when it goes to powder thursday. It was dark so I couldnt get any shots of it on the truck. tomorrow.... ended up going with a brushed stainless mesh and I think it came out sick...

Name:  1-2.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  90.1 KB
Name:  2-1.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  80.2 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  80.9 KB
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  94.2 KB
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  47.4 KB

Last edited by ROK-TEK; 03-15-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:25 PM
ROK-TEK

Originally Posted by BigHorn777
That looks really nice, it is to bad you couldn't chrome that. With the black truck and the Chrome accents it would fit in well with a black grill. At the very least I would flat black either the grill or the Cross and gloss black the other to set one off from the other. If I had to choose if I only had black well I'd would gloss the grill, and flat the cross. Just my opinion, but it would give it a shadowed look. Not sure you can do gloss, and flat with powder coatings??
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you? You could always cut it out of stainless and polish it... Either way I personally think it is really cool. Only problem I'd have is my Hella's, but I could always mount them on the bull bar... VERY NICE MAN!!!! Can not wait to see the final product....

I actually like the idea of the flat and the gloss. you could be onto something there sir.... as for as what im into the grille... it wasnt cheap. but its wasnt near 1300 like some out there!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:15 PM
ROK-TEK

Ok so I get to post up 2 things this time! As you can see I got a new truck. fresh start. its a 2007 with 5.9 again. 4" with 35's right now. That will be changing soon though. main reason was well, i got GOOD money out of the other one. Another being I wanted to design a new suspension system that was more trail worthy. By that I mean long travel soft riding with air bumps. Similar to the carli 3.0 system. Im gonna go crazy this time!

Ok second I actually did this in good timing because I was about to do the grille install into the new truck. sweet. here are some shot of the grille on the truck. I love it. I think I might like it without the cross as well so im gonna have another cut that is just the trim and mesh.

Name:  IMG_2476.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  111.3 KB
Name:  IMG_2480.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  119.6 KB
Name:  IMG_2482.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  113.0 KB
Name:  IMG_2492.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  85.2 KB

Old 03-17-2011, 04:51 PM
BigHorn777
Professional

Nice, liked the black truck though. You should still do a flat black and gloss black finish on the grill and cross. It will look killer for sure, another idea would be to spray some clear mixed with pearl over the cross. That would also look killer and split the two up nicely. It is definitely flashy the way it is, almost bright... I think with a few more things either blacked out or black accents it will all flow nicely together.. Keep us posted on the lift, and the finished grill.

Quick Reply: My 3rd Gen homemade mods