3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

A little advice before I take the plunge.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 01:15 PM
nussdawg395
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant believe noone threw in the "get the carfax" lol. But alot of good advice here. Alot to think about. Either way, get the carfax haha and make sure you look it over really really good, check fluids, joints and have it looked over by your mechanic and go from there. If your leary, dont buy it, if your set on it, go for it you got a 50/50 shot. Could be the best vehicle you've ever owned or could nickle and dime you to death. Thats the joy of used vehicle shopping!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:03 PM
tedberchtold
Rookie

well i wont put in the "ifs" statement since everyone is repeating previous posts, but i wouldnt pay a dime over 14 i mean these trucks are everywhere right now especially with the gas prices recently!!
i have an off road heavy duty 2500 that only booked at around 15,800 and it was mint!
anyway i wouldnt worry about the rebuilt title one bit!! like the previous post said get the carfax and check it for yourself! body damage would never deter me from a vehicle purchase! just do some homework and haggle with the guy to get a decent price! these trucks are hard to move at almost 4 dollars a gallon for gas so use that to your advantage!!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:14 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. The truck being in an accident and being repaired by a qualified body shop is one thing, and I wouldn't let that be a deal killer for me.

BUT, when a vehicle has a Salvage Title, it means the vehicle was in an accident so severe that the insurance company has totaled it. This means the insurance company has declared that truck as a total loss, meaning it could not be driven on the highways or have a valid license plate. It was subsequently sold "AS IS" either to the owner or to an automobile rebuilder to be used either for parts or to be restored (aka rebuilt or salvaged).
Would I buy one as a weekend play toy for well under the book value? Probably. Would I buy one to use as a daily driver or pay (or trade) anything close to full book value for it? No friggin' way...

Old 03-13-2011, 10:59 AM
tedberchtold
Rookie

hammer does have a point i mean thats why i said i wouldnt pay a dime over 14k for the thing!
use the rebuilt title in your favor and get a good price, now the thing being "totaled" as they say is very sketchy ive seen some that were in a ball of mangled steel and some you would swear you could drive home, it all depends on the adjuster and what he has found as prices for the replacement parts to put the vehicle in like new condition again.
the carfax may or may not give you all the detailed accident information sometimes they are very vague as to what happened.
if your current jeep is a top notch dependable like new vehicle then i probably wouldnt be trading it on that truck. but if its a little rough too then i would jew the guy down alot and make a deal.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:14 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Yeah, the biggest thing I would be leery of is the salvaged title. Not necessarily that the truck is cobbled back together or anything, but basically because it simply has a salvaged title. Sure, some people don't really even care, and lots of the time the vehicle is just as good as new. But, there is a large number of people who will not even consider buying a salvage titled vehicle and that will greatly reduce the ability to sell it down the road at a decent price.

What is your plans for the truck? If you plan on driving it for a while and selling a few years later, personally I would pass due to the title. If you plan on keeping it forever and maybe building a wheeling rig down the road after daily driver use then I would go for it.

Also, a salvaged title (weather the rig is back to mint condition or not) greatly reduces the overall value of the vehicle. If you do buy it, I would not give him anywhere near the value of the same truck without a rebuilt title.

Thats my 2 cents.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:16 PM
tedberchtold
Rookie

its whether not weather, bad habit sorry!
anyway yeah hes right if your going to keep it go for it and like we said before definately get it cheap!!

Old 03-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Jeep2Dodge

Well the deal didnt happen. I got the guy on the phone and told him that because his truck was totaled, salvaged and then repaired that regardless of anything else the value was decreased by 20-50%. We were going to do a straight trade, both of our vehicals booked about the same so I told him he would have to put cash on top to make the deal and he said no thanks before we could even talk a dollar amount. I really liked the truck, I was only going to ask for $2k which I though would have been fair but he didnt want to hear it. So I guess the search continues! Thanks again for all the advice fellas.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:46 PM
tedberchtold
Rookie

well good for you actually because that guy is obviously trying to get some poor sucker in there or some young kid and railroad them! that guy sounds like a real a-hole if you ask me! trying to get full kelly blue book for a rebuilt title truck? what a shmuck!

Old 03-13-2011, 07:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Honestly, you are better off. I know it was a nice looking vehicle and all. But, it had a salvaged title, it had too much lift for a 1500 (IFS truck) and would have probably cost you a lot more money down the road than your Jeep will.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:32 PM
areinike
Veteran

agreed. Another lesson learned.

Quick Reply: A little advice before I take the plunge.