3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Easy fuel fill fix!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:07 PM
clancj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Easy fuel fill fix!

i recently could not fill my 04 1500 ram at numerous gas stations. i noticed the fuel was rising to the fill tube and engaging the pumps shut off system.

The best rate i could fill teh tank was about 1 gallon per 30 to 40 seconds. It happened far away from home and was pulling a trailer. So i had no choice but to take the 20 minutes plus to fill the tank.. i got home and went to two local stations and had the same problem.

Solution: i removed the small vent hose from the filler tube and applied 50 psi of compressed air> it was restriced at first attempt, but released something that sounded like it hit the bottom of the tank (empty tank). After that, the air flow was unrestricted and flowed full force. for good measures, i loaded the line with wd-40 and applied compressed air a few more times. Placed the vent line back to the filler tube.

Went to the local gas station and filled it a full volume flow without any problems.

If you ever have fuel back up issues, the tank vent valve is stuck in the closed position and will not release. Apply some reverse air pressure to the vent line to free the vent valve to resolve.

joe c

Old 03-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Matt99
Champion

that thing that fell to the bottom was probably the screen. You have a small screen in the fuel filler hose and it could have been clogged. When you put all that air in it could have dislodged the screen

Old 03-28-2011, 01:23 AM
clancj

The noise was definitly from the front of the tank at the vent module. air pressure was applied to the small vent tube not the fill tube. Im just glad it worked without having to replace the tank!

Quick Reply: Easy fuel fill fix!