3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Question about exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Paddyman89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about exhaust system

I just bought a 06 1500 5.7 hemi extended cab, and I love my truck!

But I had a few questions, I have this nice big engine and I cant hear it at all! It sounds like im driving a luxury car!

I am going to put a new muffler on it, I dont really need new pipes seeing as its already 3 inch pipes.

I know what my muffler is its the 14 inch by 9 inch oval shaped object. But my question is further down the line I have another oval shaped object thats like 2 1/2 to 3 feet long, It looks like a HUGE muffler. What is this? Also right before my tail pipe is another small oval shaped object that im almost positive is a resonator.

Any answers is helpful. Thank you.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:06 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's a resonator and the chief reason the exhaust is so quiet, you have 2 resonators...

Old 03-29-2011, 12:13 AM
Paddyman89

Ok, is that also another one right before the tailpipe or something else?

Old 03-29-2011, 06:41 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Usually it goes like this, off the block is exh manifolds followed by cats, then resonators and last is a muffler.

We have a polled thread in our FAQs at the top of the section on who likes what muffler. Lots of guys like myself have youtube vids showing the truck and the exhaust.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:58 AM
06 Ram5.7
Veteran

Originally Posted by Paddyman89
I just bought a 06 1500 5.7 hemi extended cab, and I love my truck!

But I had a few questions, I have this nice big engine and I cant hear it at all! It sounds like im driving a luxury car!

I am going to put a new muffler on it, I dont really need new pipes seeing as its already 3 inch pipes.

I know what my muffler is its the 14 inch by 9 inch oval shaped object. But my question is further down the line I have another oval shaped object thats like 2 1/2 to 3 feet long, It looks like a HUGE muffler. What is this? Also right before my tail pipe is another small oval shaped object that im almost positive is a resonator.

Any answers is helpful. Thank you.

On a 06, the 14”x9” thing is actually the first resonator. The 3 ft long thing is the actual muffler, and the one before the tailpipe is the second resonator.

Just a word of caution, if you're getting a new muffler to make your truck louder, I would invest in a tuner to disable the MDS, too. Which you do have MDS, unless you have a mega cab. You can’t hear the MDS with the stock exhaust, but you’ll be able to all too easily with a loud exhaust, and it sounds horrible.

Last edited by 06 Ram5.7; 03-30-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Paddyman89

Ok, I will look into it, I found a shop that will remove my resonators for 40 bucks and install a new muffler for 80.

What muffler should I get I do not know what size I should purchase, links or part numbers would be greatly appreciated, I have read that corsa actually cuts out mds drone somewhat. I am truely open to anything I just want my truck to sound like the beast it is.

Is the Mds really that unbearable, like could I get this all installed then wait a couple weeks and the mds issue fixed?

Last edited by Paddyman89; 03-30-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:39 AM
06 Ram5.7
Veteran

As far as MDS, I guess it’s just a matter of opinion, some people are ok with how it sounds, and some aren’t. I’m just one of the one who don’t like how the MDS sounds with an exhaust. For me it’s a matter of principle, I paid for 8 cylinders, and I want to use all of them. Plus, at least for me, I didn’t notice any MPG increase with the MDS. As far as the MDS, you can always use the tow/haul button at the end of the shifter, which will disable the MDS. Doing that will lockout 5th gear, but you’ll be able to get an idea of how the MDS sounds with the exhaust compared to how it sounds with the MDS disabled. As far as a muffler, it all depends on what you’re looking for in terms of sound, volume, and performance. You can look at the FAQ’s or do a search for mufflers/exhaust to see what people say, seeing as everyone has an opinion about what muffler sounds/performs the best.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:01 PM
brmadman

So when you get a new cat back exhaust will they remove the resonators? Would you need them?

Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Paddyman89

I just went and got my new muffler installed as well as taking out my rear resonator and Ill tell you what It sounds perfect! The muffler I went with was a flowmaster 40.

Quick Reply: Question about exhaust system