3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Help with my mpg

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a 7.3 powerstroke, with 4" turbo back exhaust HAHA, but i never excepted great mpg just descent and I am one of the few that NEED a truck vs the thousands in the city and just drive one because they look cool. Im thinking of using fuel treatment just to try it out. I wouldn't doubt if there is a bunch of carbon build up or sludge on my motor with 110k miless

Old 04-05-2011, 08:38 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW how hard is it to adjust the E-brake, maybe that is sticking a little bit because right now when I release the E-brake, the pedal doesn't come up all the way and i got push it up with my foot.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 AM
bigbillhemi03
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I'd say if anyone is getting 13-14 mpg on the highway with a 4.7 or Hemi, then they have an issue or are sorely in need of some maintenance, especially if it's a RC 4x2.

As far as the CAI, what the hell did you expect when you put a CAI on the truck? More air in = more fuel that must be added to it. Cooler air = more dense = more fuel is added to it. A CAI adds more power but poorer fuel economy. In general, a CAI is used in combination with a free flowing exhaust which negates the small MPG loss.

As far as the Ford getting better gas mileage, I've owned three Fords, two gassers and Ford has ALWAYS gotten better gas mileage than Dodge in comparable CI engines while the Dodge made more power (and usually lasted longer, on average anyway).

If you wanted a truck for better gas mileage, you bought the wrong one. but then again, who would buy a pickup truck if they were worried about gas mileage???
What kind of an issue would it be? Im not being a smarta$$ I really just dont know. I change my oil every 3000 with synthetic fluids air filter etc so I am not sure maintenance is my prob?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:09 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kx250frider617
BTW how hard is it to adjust the E-brake, maybe that is sticking a little bit because right now when I release the E-brake, the pedal doesn't come up all the way and i got push it up with my foot.
If im not mistaken, on the inner side of the drivers side frame rail is the ebrake cable and about half way down the truck there is an adjustment in the cable.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:08 AM
SHNOOL
Rookie
Default If anyone is interested, i am not completely convinced it isn't ethanol content.

I noted that when they moved most things to more ethanol content, mileage dropped substantially in all 3 cars I drive daily to work (then 72 miles one way, mostly highway). My RAM went from 14mpg average (80%highway), down to 12mpg. My subaru went from 27mpg to 25mpg. My malibu went from 32mpg to 28mpg. But the content level also corresponded with winter coming on too, so I can't be sure it wasn't the two combined.

For the record, back before the higher levels of ethanol, my 2001 Dodge dakota 4.7 extended cab, manual 5 speed got 20mpg average on the same trip. My girlfriends durango, with automatic, and 4.7, a 2003, got 18mpg (same trip). Now her exhaust bolts are whacked, and leaking exhaust everywhere and we are getting like 14 (and I am sure the O2 sensors are getting all out of sorts).

These ARE tow vehicles, and I understand that. But truthfully, I think if this keeps up, I too will need to consider a diesel, to mitigate the fuel costs.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbillhemi03
What kind of an issue would it be? Im not being a smarta$$ I really just dont know. I change my oil every 3000 with synthetic fluids air filter etc so I am not sure maintenance is my prob?

Could be as simple as the throttle body being dirty. Minor vacuum leaks can effect performance and/or mpgs and not be enough to pop a CEL, especially around the intake and exhaust manifold.
Even something as simple as running tires 5-6 lbs. low can effect mpg by a mpg or two.

Originally Posted by SHNOOL
I noted that when they moved most things to more ethanol content, mileage dropped substantially in all 3 cars I drive daily to work (then 72 miles one way, mostly highway). My RAM went from 14mpg average (80%highway), down to 12mpg. My subaru went from 27mpg to 25mpg. My malibu went from 32mpg to 28mpg. But the content level also corresponded with winter coming on too, so I can't be sure it wasn't the two combined.

For the record, back before the higher levels of ethanol, my 2001 Dodge dakota 4.7 extended cab, manual 5 speed got 20mpg average on the same trip. My girlfriends durango, with automatic, and 4.7, a 2003, got 18mpg (same trip). Now her exhaust bolts are whacked, and leaking exhaust everywhere and we are getting like 14 (and I am sure the O2 sensors are getting all out of sorts).
I buy non-ethanol gas whenever I can. I spend about 1/2 my time in Ga. where I'm from and the other half in Fla. helping my mom who has health issues. When in Florida, there are two gas stations within 5 miles from the house who sell non-ethanol fuel. In Georgia, I have to travel 30+ miles for the closest one I know of, so unless I'm going thataway I have to deal with E10 gas.
I routinely see about a 1.5-2 mpg difference with the non-ethanol gas...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 04-06-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:38 AM
bigbillhemi03
Rookie

HammerZ71 Thanks. Ill check tire pressure and clean the throttle body. Ill check the vac lines but Im not sure if ill know if ill find a leak.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:14 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Another sure MPG robber are them big, heavy 20" steel, cheazy chrome clad wheels. You'd see a gain in fuel economy by just ditching those in favor of a light, 17" aluminum wheel and tire combo even if the tire diameter was the same...

Old 04-06-2011, 12:24 PM
bigbillhemi03
Rookie

What about sea foam? Anyone ever use that? opinions, pro's, and con's??

Old 04-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I'd say if anyone is getting 13-14 mpg on the highway with a 4.7 or Hemi, then they have an issue or are sorely in need of some maintenance, especially if it's a RC 4x2.

Well it has the oil changed every 2500 miles has fresh plugs and synthetic fluids every where. I am a fanatic about maintance.
So really doubt it is maintance issue. I was hoping for some help as to why this truck is getting so LOUSY mileage. It is unacceptable mileage for such a light truck and a small v-8.

As far as the Ford getting better gas mileage, I've owned three Fords, two gassers and Ford has ALWAYS gotten better gas mileage than Dodge in comparable CI engines while the Dodge made more power (and usually lasted longer, on average anyway).

I guess you did not see the fact the ford is a 4x4 and the dodge a 2x4 and 1500 lbs lighter 10" lower and smaller tires. The dodge is on aluminum 17s. All things considered the Dodge SHOULD be getting MUCH MUCH better mileage than it is..

If you wanted a truck for better gas mileage, you bought the wrong one. but then again, who would buy a pickup truck if they were worried about gas mileage???
Ya ya I know trucks get worse mileage but they really should do better than this..

What is the best mileage setup you can come up with?

As for the CAI I read on here so many where getting better mileage with them, I thought I would try it.. I guess there is a lot of stretching of the truth going on then..

Last edited by Plainbroke; 04-19-2011 at 09:18 PM.