3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Towing in a couple of weeks

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:51 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979
change your programmer to the towing setting if you can, and tow with O/D off. Make sure your brake box functions properly and take time to properlly set the brakes on the trailer. Are your tires rated for towing?
I wouldn't reccomend changing your tune a few days prior either because your transmission will learn/shift with nothing towed behind you. This means, it'll learn your driving as normal and then when you tow, the tranny will shift too early and will bog you down. TRUST ME! You need to be on a fresh programmed tune if you swap tuned to tow. That wil get you the best performance.

I've towed 8,000lbs SEVERAL times with my 91oct Superchips tune(w/93 gas) and have NEVER changed my tune to towing. I've kept my 91 tune and truck runs great. Zero detonation and truck runs like a top. NOW, I don't lug my engine. If I'm going up a hill, I let the rpms pull the truck. 4, 5000rpms are no big deal for the Hemi. Lug the engine with a harsh tune and you may have troubles with detonation. Keep your rpms up and you'd be fine. I do have 33" tires with 3:92's so maybe that helps me, but 4:56's would give all you need so not to change tunes.

Any tires that are categorized to be sold and mounted to a dodge ram 1500 is made for towing. Most towed weigth is just that, pulled, not quashing ontop of the tires. And certainly ANY 35x12.5 tire is overkil for a 1500. Most are E-rated(10-ply equiv). You 'could' get away with a HD C class tire on the 1500 Ram. (wouldn't recm'd it)
Originally Posted by 96magnumram
Isn't there a "break in period" you have to go by before doing any towing or hard driving after a gear install? If so, you will want to make sure you are outside of that preiod before towing like that to avoid voiding any warranty that comes with your install.
Most def true. Gears need those couple of hot/cold cycles before any undue stress. Your not suppose to tow for atleast 500 miles after getting gears and need to do a diff flush at the 500 mile mark prior to heavy footing and towing.

*dodgeboy-I don't mean to seem like I am harping/picking on you, but there's just a slight diff. of opinion is all.

Last edited by dirtydog; 04-12-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:47 PM
bamataco
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you have some kind of means to attach your rock crawler to the trailer. Chains of ratchet straps both work well.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:39 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

No offence taken Dirtdog, that's what this is all about, sharing opinions with others that ask questions. The reason i ask about the tires is that some of the more mud terrain tires are not rated that well for towing and i have seen my share of blowouts working in the oilfield up here that's all. But you are right any 10ply tire will be E rated for towing and you can pull the shyt out of them lol.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:01 PM
FlexJohnson
Rookie

Decided not to change my tune or do the gears before the trip... Gonna keep it on 91 octane high tune... Got me some nice G Force ratchet strap tie downs in the mail the other day..Thanks for the input

Quick Reply: Towing in a couple of weeks