3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

radiator shroud?half covers...pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:02 PM
RACERAM9
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator shroud?half covers...pics

THESE ARE NOT 100% FINISHED IN THESE PICS, AFTER BEING WITH OUT MY TRUCK FOR 2 WEEKS I WAS HAVING WITH DRAWLS I'm trying to clean up the engine bay a bit having Tmore work done (battery cover mock up for the CAI they want to make and some others) and hope to have pics up soon (this weekend) before I send them off to paint or powder coating Name:  IMG_3382-1.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  59.7 KB
Name:  IMG_3373-1.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  152.0 KB
Name:  IMG_3370-1.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  131.8 KB
Name:  IMG_3365-1.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  129.1 KB
its not 100% finished needs some more welding and grinding but will be ready by the end of this week and it will be ready for paint or what ever I want to do
they also fab up some half covers, they are also going to do more here is a pic of the half covers
Name:  IMG_3376.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  83.3 KB
Name:  IMG_3369.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  157.4 KB
Name:  IMG_3367.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  111.1 KB

Last edited by dirtydog; 04-26-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: removed advert.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:10 PM
Geezir
Veteran

Fan shroud isn't my kinda liking. to each their own.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:23 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you hope to have any airflow with a solid wall behind the fan? I'm surprised it doesn't overheat while idling and I'm sure it will while driving. There's just nowhere for air to go.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Blacksport
Captain

..........................why?.................... ....

Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

That is some great fab work. I love the valve covers.

Originally Posted by John M
How do you hope to have any airflow with a solid wall behind the fan? I'm surprised it doesn't overheat while idling and I'm sure it will while driving. There's just nowhere for air to go.
I tend to agree with you about this. I just dont see how any substantial air flow will get in. You have an intake that comes straight off TB, how is air going to get in there? plus it will be hotter than crap in that engine bay. I love the idea of the cover. An idea might be to drill a **** ton of holes in the bottom portion? Idk what to say lol.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:22 PM
T-Muns
Veteran

+1 on the fabrication!

I like the valve covers, but I share the same concern about air flow with the shroud cover and the hot air intake.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:56 AM
RACERAM9
Professional

Originally Posted by John M
here is a pic with out the shroud on the truck as you can see there is no air flow going threw there any way due to the coolant/ washer tanks ans the fan shroud under them
Name:  IMG_3424.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  85.3 KB
the only place air acutuly come threw is where the clutch fan is and its not covered pic of how small that it is
Name:  IMG_3425.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  124.6 KB

Originally Posted by Blacksport
..........................why?.................... ....
WHY NOT??????? I enter my truck in shows and have always hated the gap between the core support and the radiators wanted it covered for a cleaner/finished look

Originally Posted by Marklorenzo
That is some great fab work. I love the valve covers.

I tend to agree with you about this. I just dont see how any substantial air flow will get in. You have an intake that comes straight off TB, how is air going to get in there? plus it will be hotter than crap in that engine bay. I love the idea of the cover. An idea might be to drill a **** ton of holes in the bottom portion? Idk what to say lol.
all you need in air flow is over the radiators and no thats not my CAI I have the Vararam (in the pic above) and the shroud will have to be custom cut to fit it.. that tube was put on the truck durring fab to move the truck if they needed to and get to those hard to reach areas to do the Half covers.

Originally Posted by T-Muns
+1 on the fabrication!

I like the valve covers, but I share the same concern about air flow with the shroud cover and the hot air intake.
questions answered above.....

Old 04-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Geezir
Veteran

Originally Posted by RACERAM9
WHY NOT??????? I enter my truck in shows and have always hated the gap between the core support and the radiators wanted it covered for a cleaner/finished look
Because it's hideous?

Old 04-27-2011, 09:24 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It is boxy. I should have more smooth lines to it and looking flowing. I like the VCs though

Old 04-27-2011, 11:08 AM
John M
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RACERAM9
here is a pic with out the shroud on the truck as you can see there is no air flow going threw there any way due to the coolant/ washer tanks ans the fan shroud under them

the only place air acutuly come threw is where the clutch fan is and its not covered pic of how small that it is
The stock shroud funnels air to the fan opening. Without it the fan would pull air through a small portion of the radiator instead of the whole thing. It's still about air flow, and with a walled-off radiator you don't have any air flowing anywhere. It's like holding your hand out the window at 60 mph.

Once our weather is solidly in the 90s I'll bet it's going to run hot.

Quick Reply: radiator shroud?half covers...pics