3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

help deciding on lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:37 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The Rancho kit comes with 2" blocks for the rear, truck sat dead level when I was done, but you can always adjust the keys to get it just to your liking.

I got a bit of sag in the front over the 5+ years I've had this lift on, I don't think it's the kit, prolly the torsion bars sagging a smidge. Doesn't help that I got like 200 lbs. of winch, grill guard, etc. hanging on the front of the thing. It's only down a little over 1/4". Once I get this damn hernia fixed, I'll jack the front up and adjust it back to dead level with a quick turn or two of the key bolts...

Old 04-30-2011, 11:21 PM
truegent81
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I asked this earlier but it didn't post. If I do this 4" lift, can I do a body lift on top of it? I'm kinda digging the gap between the tire and top of fender. I just don't want ALL body lift. Maybe an additional 2-3" body lift on top of 4"

Old 05-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea you can

Old 05-01-2011, 09:25 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Structurally there is no problem combining a suspension lift with a body lift and actually a 4" suspension with a 3" body combo is a stronger lift than just a 6" suspension lift by itself despite the fact it's an inch higher.

The angles of the CVs and strain on front end components is not nearly as severe.

BUT... you need to remember two things. IFS fronts don't do tires much over 35" without a LOT of stress on the CVs, tie rods, ball joints and the rack. Secondly, 7" of lift and large tires is a LOT to ask of the 4.7 engine.

If you plan on 7" of lift and 37" or larger tires you'll probably get away without a catastrophic failure if this is a "for looks" truck, you'll just have to replace parts a little more often. BUT if you plan on using your 4x4 truck like a 4x4 truck, it's a lot to ask.

Big lift height and big tires is for trucks with solid front axles...

Quick Reply: help deciding on lift