3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Front end replacement or paint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Huntman05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end replacement or paint?

Hey fellas, what do y'all think I should do? I have a black 2005 QC SB and I can't decide if I should just cheap out and paint the front bumper or have my friends dad who owns a shop make me a full front end replacement. Obviously that would cost much more but I live in the hill country of Texas and hitting deer is a regular occurrence. I also spend a lot of time on my ranch so it would be good to have. I like the way the front ends look but I'm not sure what I should do. I can get the full front end for about $800. Thanks!!

Old 05-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Matt99
Champion

I dont understand what you are wanting. A deer catcher bumper?

If you are wanting a durable coating on your stock bumper get it powdercoated. If you are wanting something that will take a deer hit get a road armor type. Something with some beefy radiator/light tubes. Even then it can flip over the hood or tear everything up under the truck

Old 05-09-2011, 11:09 PM
atv1988
Amateur

Well it all depend how hard u hit the deer I know from expirience the chrome bumpers can take a large doe at about 40 mph...the licence plate holder not so much. But as said if the deer finds grill and hood well that will still cost money. But u wont have to replace a bumper again if you go with the new one. And if I had the finances I would be getting a heavy duty one because they usually look better in my opinion.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Huntman05

I'm talking about either spraying the front bumper black which is chrome right now or taking off that bumper and putting on a front end replacement which would be solid steel with the grille guard coming up off of it. A front end replacement as in "replacing the front end/bumper."

Old 05-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Matt99
Champion

Originally Posted by Huntman05
I'm talking about either spraying the front bumper black which is chrome right now or taking off that bumper and putting on a front end replacement which would be solid steel with the grille guard coming up off of it. A front end replacement as in "replacing the front end/bumper."
I got my chrome bumper powdercoated. Its the way to go with metal parts.

You dont have to replace the front end to get a steel bumper. Tons of companies have bolt on bumpers. Just take your stock bumper off with 8 bolts, and bolt the new one on. No replacing anything on the front end.

I dont know what replacing the front end is for you , but on here its either replacing the front end suspension or replacing the front end sheet metal/grille etc. None of which is required for a steel bumper (unless you are worried about suspension sag from the weight)

Old 05-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Huntman05

I'm talking about this as a front end replacement.
http://www.roadarmor.com/products/Bu...-number-44045B

Old 05-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Matt99
Champion

Originally Posted by Huntman05
I'm talking about this as a front end replacement.
http://www.roadarmor.com/products/Bu...-number-44045B

yea thats just a bumper. Take yours off with a few bolts and bolt this one back on. Nothing on the front end has to be replaced.

tons of people have these. They look good, but the powdercoating doesnt last too long. I saw an old style ranch hand bumper that hit a deer and you couldnt tell but they have alot more coverage than the road armor ones

Quick Reply: Front end replacement or paint?