3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Last minute advice.. auction ends in day!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:26 AM
T_Visk
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Last minute advice.. auction ends in day!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...092+&viewitem=

I was looking at Dakotas then decided that they're too cheap looking and I wanted a Ram with MDS where half the cylinders kill when not in use. It's pretty high mileage for an 06 but priced right IMO. It's a 20 hour drive but my dad already volunteered to co-pilot. I'm not a huge fan of buying a vehicle without seeing in person first but there are 40 high quality photos and seller has very good feedback. Anyways, I am going to check out information on a loan right now. Just getting some feedback from you Dodge guys before I make the purchase.

Thanks!
Trevor

Last edited by T_Visk; 05-12-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: TYPOS
Old 05-12-2011, 08:53 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ad says it's an '06, hard for me to compare price as EVERY RCSB 4x4 I've ever seen around here is a 4.7 and not a Hemi. But the "buy it now" price is about average for the RCSB 4.7 4x4s that come up for sale in my area, so with the Hemi, the deal looks NOT GREAT, but pretty good despite the high miles.

Why are you wanting the MDS, do you really think you'll get better fuel economy with MDS? Most guys buy a tuner to shut it off which gets rid of the terrible drone AND usually produces BETTER gas mileage.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a vehicle sight unseen. I'm the type of guy who not only takes a vehicle for a test drive, but inspect the hell out of it, right down to pulling sampling of fluids and inspecting them, and not just engine oil and tranny off the stick, but I'll pull a rear diff plug and stick my pinky in.

I've even been known to be car shopping for friends and telling a dealer I want a compression test done FIRST when I'm shopping with friends and they are financially only able to buy older, more high mileage cars.

But, you can get a good deal on an "ebay truck", just a little riskier...

Old 05-12-2011, 09:03 AM
T_Visk
Rookie

Yes, you are correct. 06. I just got done working a 12 hour overnight and very sleepy. I KNOW the MDS gets better gas mileage. My dad has an 06 Hemi magnum and his best highway average on a full tank is 25. I know this is a magnum and smaller, but believe me the mileage is better. I don't care about the drone because pretty much the only time his kicks the MDS on is on the highway in cruise which I will probably be listening to music not my motor. I drove his car in town a couple times and it rarely ever kicked off the 4 cylinders and he has flowmasters and you can tell but barely.

I'm no mechanic so I wouldn't know exactly what to look for in all the fluids.

Thanks for your advice. I'm deeply considering the truck.

So, your vote would be a nay?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:54 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I will back Hammer up that most guys disable the MDS. We know this because we spend more time here and see all the guys questioning it and doing it. I didnt mod my truck to be gas friendly so I dont get much into it. The theoretics are there to back up the goals but no my knowledge, no manufacture (starting with Cadillac in the 60s-70s) has made it work.

Obviously an 06 RC priced at 10k is decent but at almost 100K miles, that engine needs to be thoroughly checked out as well as the oil in the trans and front/rear diff.

Anytime YOU buy a USED ride, you can never assume proper maintenance was done. That means whether it needs it or not, you should be replacing the engine oil and filter, the trans oil and filter, the front/rear diff oils, the spark plugs, air filter, brakes, coolant flush, hoses, belts, ECT.

100K is getting on up there for a gasser. Although some make it far beyond that, keep in mind some dont make it that far at all. Make sure you have the pockets (financially) to keep up with any issues you have down the road PLUS the monthly truck and insurance payments.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:11 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

NO, my vote wouldn't be a NAY per say, but the deal isn't anything to write home about, not out of line, but not a steal either. I'm going by the "Buy it Now" price of $10,995. I think if you can get that truck for under $10k AND it has no problems whatsoever, you'd have a pretty good deal on your hands.

As for the MDS, HUGE difference in a Magnum and a full size truck and not just in weight. Transmission gear ratios are different, ring and pinion ratios are different.

Cylinder deactivation works pretty well in passenger cars, but NOBODY has really made it work (as far as fuel economy) in larger vehicles. These trucks are tested BY THE MANUFACTURER in a controlled environment to come up with good "EPA" numbers. Hell, the government even trusts the manufacturer when it comes to emissions.

If you were to conduct a poll of all MDS Ram owners, I think you'll find most will report better fuel economy with MDS disabled or at least NO worse gas mileage.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a used gas engine vehicle with up around 100k miles or more on it without doing a compression test, but that's just me...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 05-12-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Matt99
Champion

The mds would be nice if you drive 55 and under, but it has trouble above that. I didnt like it when I test drove it at least.

Like weed and hammer said, you just have no idea how it's been treated. Mudded, raced, or just a highway truck? But that's a fair price.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:44 PM
T_Visk
Rookie

/bump

Old 05-12-2011, 02:49 PM
T_Visk
Rookie
Cool

My thoughts are that the car payments would be cheaper then what I got now. My buddy is a mechanic and he can overlook the whole thing let me know what needs to be done for the 100k maintenance and just get it done and over with. The truck looks clean and there feedback is good but it looks like they sell more parts then cars. He wouldn't be able to go get it with me is only problem but if I make the drive I'm sure it will come home with me unless I am 100% disappointed. IDK, it's a thought call. My dad purchased his last two vehicles through eBay without seeing before and has been really happy. They had less miles then this though.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:15 PM
T_Visk
Rookie

Well, we got the loan and are buying it now. Wish me luck fellas!

Old 05-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Matt99
Champion

Whew big decision good luck man

Quick Reply: Last minute advice.. auction ends in day!!