3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Need Help Choosing Oil & Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:03 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry, but I refuse to pay that kind of money for oil. I use what the manufacturer recommends and have yet to have a problem.

My Mustang engine after 167K miles using Castrol GTX dino oil changed every 3K miles. No sludge anywhere and I only pulled it because I got a good deal on a better engine.

Name:  IMG_0447.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  207.7 KB

Old 06-05-2011, 09:35 PM
NSASarge
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lxman1,

Sorry, but I refuse to change my oil every 3k miles because I can't afford to change it that often. You will pay much more in the long run than I will. I was a big fan of Castrol GTX for many years. Even used it in my 2.5Hl Opel Commodore. It clocked at 145mph on the Autobahn in Germany. Lived there for 10 years. All “supercars” come with synthetic. Most high-end luxury cars have it. I have since become more knowledgeable in the mystical world of 'OILS". At first I was skeptical. I used an oil analysis program when I started using Amsoil. My 2000 Dakota was a factory custom build. It was totaled this past January with 150+k miles and never used a drop of oil. I had the oil analyzed every 5k miles till I reached 20k and decided to change it anyway. They guarantee the oil to last 25k, but, I don’t push it that far. I change the filter at 10k and again at oil change. My wife’s car is a 2004 Nissan Sentra SpecV. The factory window sticker says it is supposed to get 29mpg highway. She regularly gets 32mpg. I have Amsoil in the crankcase and the rear diff on my 2008 1500 QC Big Horn 5.7 Hemi. (Looks just like yours!) I get 18mpg regularly and can get 21 if I drive “nice”. Dino oil can vary from lot to lot and from well to well. Synthetic is more uniform in molecular structure and wont ‘cook’ or freeze up like dino oil. But hey, check it out before you bash it. (Do the math.)

"SARGE"

Quick Reply: Need Help Choosing Oil & Filter