3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2007 Ram QC 4x4 Rear End Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:58 AM
tomalaina
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
You still have not said if this truck has the Mopar Factory Limited Slip.

Do a search on here for "C-Clip", it's really the only weakness in the 9.25" AAM axle, but it's a HUGE one!

Short of having a balky LSD, I really can't imagine you'd have a problem. However, THEY DID EXPLAIN TO YOU HOW TO PROPERLY BREAK IN A NEW RING AND PINION, didn't they?

IT IS VERY CRUCIAL THEY BE ALLOWED TO SEAT PROPERLY OR YOU'LL BE BACK THERE AGAIN. Could this be why the second set failed? Did you have the break-in lube replaced at 500 miles when they repaired the rear 12k miles ago? I'm not trying to be an a$$ here, but a new ring & pinion (even if set perfectly at install) has no chance of longevity of not broken in properly and may be your entire problem. The phosphorous coating they ship new gears with will break down the gear oil VERY QUICKLY, so if you were still running the oil they put in there at your last rebuild, it could be the reason your rear end failed with only 12k on the rebuild.

If you have ANY questions on how to break in a new Ring & Pinion, then go here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...new-gears.html

Another excellent source for information regarding a ring/pinion or axles in general is Randy's Ring & Pinion. Their sales people know more technical sh*t about axles than most places tech people.

http://www.ringpinion.com/FAQ.aspx#37
Sorry Yes a factory LSD - and NOPE The dealer did say to do anything for break in. Just here are the keys and your all set. Thanks for the info and i will lissen for the whine.
I did a google search for the Lube part#'s and found this: (look under Power Train: Drive Line) SAME ISSUES AS MINE. http://www.faqs.org/car/dodge-ram1500-crewcab-4x4-lwb/
By the way the part# for the Lube is Qty.3 6800305-AB and Qty.1 4318060-AB neither one says break-in.

Thanks AGAIN. Tom

Last edited by tomalaina; 06-08-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:17 AM
nateroach
Veteran

Originally Posted by tomalaina
Sorry Yes a factory LSD - and NOPE The dealer did say to do anything for break in. Just here are the keys and your all set. Thanks for the info and i will lissen for the whine.
I did a google search for the Lube part#'s and found this: (look under Power Train: Drive Line) SAME ISSUES AS MINE. http://www.faqs.org/car/dodge-ram1500-crewcab-4x4-lwb/
By the way the part# for the Lube is Qty.3 6800305-AB and Qty.1 4318060-AB neither one says break-in.

Thanks AGAIN. Tom
I would be willing to guess this was the cause of premature failure on the last repair. Gears have a pretty specific break in period and procedure. As long as the installer did their part and you follow the break in guide lines i see no reason that it would not be reliable.

nateroach

Old 06-08-2011, 04:02 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nateroach
I would be willing to guess this was the cause of premature failure on the last repair. Gears have a pretty specific break in period and procedure. As long as the installer did their part and you follow the break in guide lines i see no reason that it would not be reliable.

nateroach

Yep, Nate, that was pretty much what I was alluding to in my post (#9), I'm betting the chain of events here was the diff oil was never changed at 30k, which probably would have caught a C-Clip failure. Factory POS LSD did the differential in by 40 some odd thousand miles (as does happen A LOT).

Rebuild was done, but no break-in procedure was followed and they may have even not been set just right and now the guy is back to square one. BUT now he knows how to break them in and that the lube should be changed right after break-in. I agree with you, if he follows the procedure, assuming the ring and pinion were shimmed right, he should have no more issues. I REALLY like DANA axles, but I have to admit, the AAMs at the same diameter are just as strong, if not a bit stronger...

Old 06-20-2011, 12:34 PM
tomalaina
Rookie

I did the 500 Miles and replaced the Fluid yesterday with RP. We will see how it holds up. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:10 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

How did the pattern look on the gears? You should have seen a nice, even break in pattern. Also a small amount of very fine metal particles in the oil would be normal, as is a slight discoloration from the phosphorus coating burning off.

The biggest tell-tale on if they were set perfectly would be a whine though. If you don't notice a whine, then I think you'll be fine.

Also the RP runs a tad cooler than most other lubes, even other pure synthetics, so that was a good move IMO...

Old 06-21-2011, 01:41 PM
tomalaina
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
How did the pattern look on the gears? You should have seen a nice, even break in pattern. Also a small amount of very fine metal particles in the oil would be normal, as is a slight discoloration from the phosphorus coating burning off.

The biggest tell-tale on if they were set perfectly would be a whine though. If you don't notice a whine, then I think you'll be fine.

Also the RP runs a tad cooler than most other lubes, even other pure synthetics, so that was a good move IMO...

Everything looked good. Yeah i did notice a slight discoloration but remembered what you said about the breakin lube. No Whine - but the other one didnt whine until just before it broke.
I did have a question about doing the front diff. - What amount of fluid is in it. I did a quick search for Fluid Capacity for that and tranny, etc but didnt find anything. Thanks again for your help

Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Jacksplat

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Only a very few (very few) threads I have seen where the rear locked up and cause snapping of the drive shaft. I can think of maybe 2?? MAYBE 3.

But I would THINK for it to lock up something in the diff went really bad and caused binding which caused the lock up. Please let us know what the dealer says.

Im certainly interested.
Happened to me exactly like his. Only diff is I didnt have my kids with me. I've owned no less than 50 vehicles and have drivin my entire life and have never seen such a weakness in a vehicle. Now the repair will cost me more than the truck is worth. Not a good day at all.
After speaking to scrapyards and mechanics I'm realizing how common this is for my truck, and how rare the replacement parts are as a result.
I need a rear end and paying cash, anyone wanna sell me one ?

Quick Reply: 2007 Ram QC 4x4 Rear End Issues