3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

painting chrome flower petal 20"s

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Scottmilkeway
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default painting chrome flower petal 20"s

I dont know if this is a no no or something but i put this in the 2nd gen section and got a couple answers, but im really hoping to find someone whos done this and can give some advice so im gonna put it here

im trading my off-roadish wheels and tires for some 3rd gen dodge ram stock flower style 20" wheels (and tires of course) and im concerned because one is peeling the chrome (learned its not chrome clad which makes this project harder), i was gonna paint them anyways but idk how this is gonna go, i was gonna use a wire wheel on a drill to take off the flaking parts and to scuff up the rest of the remaining chrome on all of them since ive heard chrome is a bitch to get off, then a good amount of etching or filler primer to fill in any bad spots etc., then gunmetal or gloss black, and of course clear coat... but with this one peeling my jobs a little harder :/

I'm sure someones done this and has some input right?
-THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

btw i did search and had no luck... so if someone is smarter than me and knows where a thread is about this that would be cool lol

Old 06-22-2011, 12:38 PM
BWhelan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shuld look into PlastiDip as I've heard many people have had a great experience with it.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Scottmilkeway
Rookie

yeah i think i stumbled upon that in my searches, it doesnt seem like the finish i want though :/

edit: i found a video on youtube and actually they dont look half bad... hmmmmmm

Last edited by Scottmilkeway; 06-22-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: looked up a video ;)
Old 06-22-2011, 02:49 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Plasti Dip is pretty durable but the finish is kinda matte. I used Plasti-Dip on all of the cheesy plastic cladding on my Grand Cherokee almost two years ago and it's held up great, especially considering it's in all the "band up" areas, like under the front bumper and on my stone guards.

If you are going to use an automotive type paint, it's imperative that you get off all the flaking chrome and scuff the rest up pretty good. An adhesion promoter or etching paint would be something you need to hit it with just prior to painting. Sealing it with a clear or a even a poly urethane would do well to both protect the paint and give it a little gloss look as well...

Old 06-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Scottmilkeway
Rookie

yeah ive been doing some research and im gonna get a wire wheel and some different grit sand papers for between priming, im gonna do etching primer, probably 1 light then 1 to fill in the rest then maybe 2 filler primer one light one heavy to fill in imperfections, then color whether it be black or gunmetal probably a couple coats of that, and then some good clear coating... im also gonna redneckedly break the bead and mark where the wheel weights and remove them that way the most likely place for the paint to come off would be poor coverage of the lip so im gonna avoid it all together... all i gotta remember is prep prep prep... which im getting better at lol...

thanks for the input guys, ill get some pics up when i get em' done, i dont trade the kid until sunday so it'll be a while but im probably gonna spend all sunday after i get the wheels conquering this task

Old 06-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Matt99
Champion

etching primer is for bare metal. A filler primer will probably do you better to fill in the sanding marks in the plastic.

Getting the weights off and stuck on the back is probably a good idea as well

Old 06-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Scottmilkeway
Rookie

Change of plans probably, my good buddies dad has a media blaster so i think im going to blast them, probably break the one bead on the side getting all the work done and cut a circle in plywood to protect the tire, and i think hes got a paint gun scoreeee

Old 06-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Matt99
Champion

if you have a compressor, Harbor freight sells a paint gun for $14 that is good enough for wheels. I used it for awhile until I got a better gun.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:22 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

A good blasting with glass beads or aluminum oxide and powder coating might help also

Old 06-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Scottmilkeway
Rookie

thats the plannnn, i just gotta find the blasting media though, gonna check another tractor supply co. by me because one only has sand at the moment and im really trying to get the glass beads so its not a extremely rough blasting

Quick Reply: painting chrome flower petal 20"s