3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Towing with your ram 1500 with 5.7?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:07 PM
bgbluram2
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it's hard to say how big of a toy hauler you can tow, with the trailers made out of lightweight materials these days, I have seen a 30ft. TT with a empty weight of about 6k lbs. loaded about 8k lbs. Then again, I have also seen a 22ft. trailer with those same weight specs so really it depends on the trailer that you buy. 8k lbs. is pretty heavy for a 1500.

As far as the rip rap rocks go, the payload of our trucks are about 1300 lbs., you will be way overloaded with 2k+ lbs. in the bed and wouldn't be real safe. If you are going a short distance on city streets the truck could probably handle it but it will put a lot of stress on the axle.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Carlp336
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgbluram2
As far as the rip rap rocks go, the payload of our trucks are about 1300 lbs., you will be way overloaded with 2k+ lbs. in the bed and wouldn't be real safe. If you are going a short distance on city streets the truck could probably handle it but it will put a lot of stress on the axle.
yea was looking on the vin tag and saw that.
may pay for delivery as ill most likely need several tons.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I hauled two loads of river rock in the bed, about 2200 lbs. per load (and this was pre-air bag days). I only had to go about 5 miles, rural back roads all but the last three blocks. I scrubbed the exhaust pipes backing up the very slight slant of my driveway and it did hit the bumpstops on every damn speed hump in my neighborhood (the last three blocks), but it made it fine.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but this is what I made with the river rock in my front yard:

Name:  pondrocks.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  38.0 KB

Quick Reply: Towing with your ram 1500 with 5.7?