3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Loosing Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Greg in MO
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loosing Coolant

Looking for suggestions... 2002 Ram 1500 QC, 4.7L, 101k miles.

I am loosing a small amount of coolant out the overflow tube pretty routinely. No overheating issues, and as long as I keep it topped off it's fine. I am trying to figure out why it is overflowing though... I have put two different rad caps on it, as I figured the old one might be loosing pressure. I now have a 17 lb mopar cap on it and it is still doing it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Greg

Old 07-04-2011, 07:13 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm guessing a head gasket is leaking combustion pressure into the cooling system. You need to put a pressure tester on the radiator and see how much pressure is building up.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Greg in MO
Amateur

Hmmm... I thought of that, but wouldn't I have oil in the coolant with a head gasket leak? Guess I had better find a pressure tester to make sure.

Could pressure be higher due to deposits in the radiator? It probably could use a good backflush...

Thanks for the input!

Greg

Old 07-05-2011, 08:36 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Not really, it just depends on where the gasket is blown. Could be between a cylinder and water port which would not get coolant into the oil.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:40 AM
truegent81
Captain

You know I've had this too but more times it's nothing serious. Better to be safe than sorry though. I've had my truck for almost a year and when it's cold the fluid level is maybe an inch below in reservoir. I've checked to see and it appears fine. Not overheating no noises and no fluid anywhere to be seen. Vehicles do tend to use fluid no matter what. From oil and coolant. I haven't gotten around to picking up coolant though bc a dealership isn't close by and I can't find this orange stuff anywhere. I thought it was dex coolant but it's hoat or something along those lines.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:24 AM
bigdaddyII
Captain

Zerex G-05 is an HOAT that will work in our trucks. Its available at Napa, Im not sure of any other store that carries it, in my area at least. Its a yellowish clear fluid but significantly cheaper then the Mopar dealership stuff.

Quick Reply: Loosing Coolant