3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Transmission mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:28 PM
ralaubach
Amateur
Location: If at first you don't succeed... go back and reload!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission mods

2007 Ram QC 5.7L 2WD
Current mods: CAI, Fast man TB, E-Fan Swap, Bullydog tuner (And yes i relise this tuner sucks. newby mistake), 2'' drop shackels.

Ok so below are the parts I am looking into putting into the transmission. Just looking for some opinions on these. the truck stays on the pavement, and i rarely do any towing. might take a load in the bed every now and then, but nothing crazy. If i do these mods below how will it effect my towing should i need to do it. I dont want to do these and loos the capability of truck. Also with these mods should i be concerned about trans temp. thanks for the input.

Torque Convertor ( Street Edge - Dodge 45RFE / 545RFE)
http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/...products_id=43

Valve body (stage 2 valve body)
http://sharadon.com/sdparts.htm

Flex platehttp
://moesperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_47&produc ts_id=12732&zenid=93a858d7e3d499708b5088d190c36f53

Old 07-10-2011, 06:48 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would use the mild street converter over the one you listed. You do not have a cam the requires the higher stall and if you were to tow, the mild converter would be a better choice. The valvebody won't hurt a thing. Quick, firm shifts reduce slippage and wear on the trans. Should have no towing issues.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:32 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd get yourself a Superchips Tuner, the Cortex or Flashpaq and purchase the additional Trans Tuning option($40?) and THEN decide if you want to drop the money on a torque converter and valve-body because let me just tell you.....WOW. Totally different shifting truck!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:59 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt do a converter just yet if I were you. Yes they are fun, and yes they do free up a good deal of power. The problem comes when you want to start adding more. A converter reallly should be added on when based on a cam, if you dont know what exactly you want to do, then just picking a stall can hurt your wallet real bad if you pick wrong.

For towing, you really want something closer to stock and one that has the performance for both street and towing. The one you listed isnt like that. I would give them a call and tell them you tow with the truck and see what they say. A higher stall converter on its own is going to add some additional heat, towing with it is going to add more I would imagine so you definitely need one of the larger transmission coolers.

Have you done gears yet? You should look into them before you think about a converter.

Quick Reply: Transmission mods