3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Pro Comp lift

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:43 AM
cbauer15
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Pro Comp lift

Hey everybody, i am looking to get a 6 inch lift kit pretty soon. I think i am going to end up going with the Pro Comp stage 1 lift. I was wondering what size tire would be best for this kit that fills the fenders but doesnt rip them off when i go over a speed bump. I think i am either going to go with nitto terra or trail grapplers. If you have pics plz post! thnks

Old 07-12-2011, 06:30 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You want to run 35" tires. The only kit I know of that gives a TRUE 6" of lift is the Skyjacker kit, the rest of the "6 inch" kits really fall somewhere between 4.5" & 5.5". Besides, you don't want to run anything larger than 35" tires on a IFS truck anyway. The 35s are heavy and have enough resistance for those small CV axles as it is.

The Pro-Comp kit is a decent one in the low-mid price range, you shouldn't have any issues with this kit.

I like the tire choice, while Mickey Thompsons/Dick Cepeks are still my personal favorite brand, the Nitto/Toyo group ain't far behind...

Old 07-12-2011, 06:47 AM
Jeepin_Lawyer
Amateur

I'm a big fan of the Nitto Terra tires. Good performance and very quiet for an aggressive tire.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Running100

I just put a set of Terras on my truck that has the stock 17" wheels like come on the TRX off road package trucks. They're great so far, but I haven't really had the chance to test them out in 'off road conditions.'

Old 07-12-2011, 12:05 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I put a set of the Terra Grapplers on my Grand Cherokee (265/70/17) about two years ago. Wanted Mickey Thompson ATZs but the cost difference was SIGNIFICANT, at about $200 per tire vs. $130, so I went with the Nittos. It's my daily driver, and even though I had just installed a modest (2") lift, I didn't want to get too aggressive.

No real muddin' but I've camped in it and been off-road fishin' around the farm and dove huntin'. They perform real well off-road as long as you aren't in any deep mud. On pavement, I'm finding them to be great. Dry pavement handling is above average for a true A/T tire and they are VERY quiet, probably rivaling most soccer mom'ish tires. Wet pavement is when they really shine! Lots of siping to channel out water and they tend to stick to wet roads like velcro.

About 18k on these and no real significant signs of wear. I'd expect to get about 40-45k miles out of them, but I tend to change tires sooner than most. I highly doubt I'll see the 60-70k life out of them that I've seen out of Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek tires, but if I get over 40k out of them, I'll be happy. My Cepek FCIIs by contrast are JUST now starting to show initial wear and I've got over 31k on them, but then again, they are a $300+ tire...

Old 07-12-2011, 03:13 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Moved to the general section

Old 07-12-2011, 07:04 PM
cbauer15
Rookie

Thanks for the great info. I called the shop in town today and he told me i could either get a Fabtec or a Pro Comp lift for the same price. Which kit would you guys say is better and taller?

Old 07-12-2011, 08:26 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I wouldn't touch a Fabtech kit if you paid me (no offense to those who have one), I have heard the '06+ coil over kit is better than the '02-'05 torsion kit, but that torsion kit is pure garbage. Almost everyone I know who actually uses their truck as a truck who has the Fabtech torsion kit has blown at least 1 CV axle. It puts the CVs at a real bad angle. Plus it only measures 4.5" and they get away with calling it a 6" on the torsion trucks because they want you to crank the keys for the extra (also putting the CVs at a higher angle).
Like I said, the coil kit doesn't have as bad of a reputation, BUT the parent company of Fabtech/Superlift is in bankruptcy protection, so replacement/repair parts at some point down the road could be iffy.

Of the two, get the Pro Comp...

Quick Reply: Pro Comp lift