3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Replacing the speakers...what size to put back in

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Scott06HEMI
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the speakers...what size to put back in

I am going to change out the factory speakers in the front and back doors on my 2006 Quad Cab and was wondering what to go with. I know the back will take 6 1/2s but I was more concerned with the fronts. I know 6x9s are in there but have heard arguments for both replacing them with better 6x9s or putting 6 1/2s in there instead. I have a 10" pioneer shallow sub under my front seat that gives me a decent amount of bass but I don't ALWAYS turn it up as it's under the passenger seat and my wife...well...she doesn't exactly like having her *** vibrated all the time. So with that being said, would you guys recommend the 3way 6x9s or the 3way 6 1/2s for the front.

Also if I'm not correct about the size then by all means correct me.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:31 PM
popdog
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you're looking for good sound quality go with a nice set of 6 1/2" components. I tend to like using the same set in back and front for a balanced and full sound. You won't find 6x9's in the same league as a good component set, though they will sound much better than stock. Be aware however, that while you will fit 6 1/2's in both the front and the back you very well may find yourself drilling some new mounting holes or modifying the existing ones in the door so have some tough drill bits in your arsenal just in case.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:40 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Rear doors have 5.25" from the factory, I think, it's been a while since I replaced mine. If memory serves, the rear holes will fit a 6.5" speaker though, and +1 on having to drill new holes front and back.
Finding a set of 6x9's that fit in the front door will be difficult. The speakers must be shallow for the window to clear when rolled down. You'll see when you take the stock speakers out, that they are very shallow with a tiny magnet. It is MUCH easier to find a set of 6.5" that will fit with an adapter plate, which is what I went with.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:04 AM
popdog
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Yup.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:33 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Kicker makes a nice set of 6x9's that fit the front doors and are a direct plug-in. Got mine from eBay. www.kicker.com/mopar
They are much clearer and louder than the stockers.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:54 PM
thunderhemi

if you dont ever plan on putting the stock speakers back in you can actually cut the 6x9 speaker out of the factory bracket and mount the new speaker in that bracket. Then just screw it right back into the door. It should help fit majority 6x9's unless you get some real beefy ones

Quick Reply: Replacing the speakers...what size to put back in