3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Ordered some POR-15

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:37 PM
popdog
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ordered some POR-15

So today I came home to find some boxes at my door of POR -15 and their black topcoat. I plan on getting the entire frame, axles, bottom of the bed, etc. to put a stop to the Rochester NY salt-driven rust that murders the vehicles up here.

Any tips for the job? I plan on taking a wirebrush to pretty much the whole frame to get all the loose crap off and etch up the existing paint a bit. I'm going to try to get 2 coats of the POR-15/primer on it (I got it in grey for easy visibility), and then get at least 2 coats of the black topcoat on it.

I also ordered some riveted fender flares that are on their way :]

Old 07-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Marklorenzo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a wire wheel on a corded drill and go at it like crazy! Especially with drive haft and parts of the frame. Get a big bottle of degreaser and cover the whole bottom end and rinse. Let dry...then the most successful part....Paint away lol. Thats what I did but I used Bed Liner underneath with Chassis Saver.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:55 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Last I used it (its been a few years), the instructions say to knock the loose stuff off, but leave the rust on as that's what it bonds to, won't stick properly with too clean a surface. Is it different stuff?

Old 07-21-2011, 01:10 AM
popdog
Veteran

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
Last I used it (its been a few years), the instructions say to knock the loose stuff off, but leave the rust on as that's what it bonds to, won't stick properly with too clean a surface. Is it different stuff?
That's essentially correct. It does recommend using a degreaser first and a metal etcher on smooth surfaces. This is why i was thinking a wirebrush and maybe a little sanding would be appropriate.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:55 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The last time I actually used it was about 10 years ago for an emergency repair. The unit I was stationed at had a 24 yr old, 800 gal hot water tank that was rotting out in one corner. I'm talking big chunks out from the insulation and water seepage. I told my boss about this stuff since I had used it on some of my old Mopars (you know how THEY like to rot, especially in the northeast). We drained it, knocked the big chunks off and slathered it on, then let it cure. It needed to hold for another 6 months until a contractor could come fix/replace it (THAT is another story entirely) and it did, without even a drip. Good stuff.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:14 PM
popdog
Veteran

Well, it took 8 hours with a wire wheel on a power drill, then a good cleaning, then 8 hours of getting down the por 15 "standard"/primer. Then 4 hours of topcoating myself and another 4 hours of topcoating with 3 people to get it all done. This was just one coat of each type of paint. No way do you need to do 2 coats of the stuff, it dries thick and rock hard. Their chassis coat is pretty thick stuff too. I also got on some riveted fender flares and headlights with internal black housing and are clear where the orange blinker panels normally are.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:44 PM
xjfever
Professional

Pictures?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:59 PM
dnlo613
Rookie

I've been working with POR15 for years,It's some good sh$t...Just don't let it dry on your skin cause it won't come off,trust me..D..

Old 07-28-2011, 11:34 PM
popdog
Veteran

Yeah i got quite a bit on my skin, even in my hair - got a haircut today! haha Will get pictures up after I give her a good wash :]

Quick Reply: Ordered some POR-15