3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Anyone use a precut window tint kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:28 AM
Jonmichz28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use a precut window tint kit?

I have a 2 dr with a plain ol back window. For 35-60$ I can order a precut kit by "filmvantage" "ultimacool" in either 1 or 2 ply. Nearest business is 40 miles and they want 150$. Anyone use one of these kits? How hard was it to install and how did it hold up?

I was going todo 50% on the sides and 35% on the back. There isn't any factory tint.

In Louisiana the law says my front windows can't be more then 40% and the back glass is 12% I think.

I searched, but all I found was pics of tint or how much tint threads. Plan is todo my truck first then my wifes car if it works well. Thanks!

Old 07-21-2011, 07:54 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

To date, the only mods on my truck I paid to have done were the gears/LSD install and the tinted windows. I have never had the patience for tinting windows and always got bubbles. Although I've never bought a "kit", just the rolled stuff.

But $150 for a RC?!? That's crazy! I paid $60 for my QC back in '04 not a week after I bought it at a Car Audio/Tint shop in south Georgia and he did the sides and the sliding rear window. I shoulda taken his advice and ponied up the extra $10 for the strip across the top of the windshield though. Been more'n a few times I wish I had it...

Old 07-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Jonmichz28

Yea it seems tricky, I've never bothered with any tinting at all. But since we moved to bfe Louisiana the Shop in the nearest city can charge whatever they want to I guess. I think it would bs about like painting. All in the prep work. I actually rebuilt my trans, rearend in my camaro, but I have little patience for stuff like painting.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:15 PM
nussdawg395
Veteran

Well I've tinted alot of windows and as hammer said you need patience. Not much prep quirk just need a clean window. Truck is use lots and lots and lots of water/tint solution such windex cut with water. Then with from center out in all directions get all bubbles out and take your time. Keep your squeegee wet. More water the better then be sure to let it bake in the sun and you should have a clean tint job. If your doing side windows my truck is to take the door panels off and the little window fur insulation strip piece. Makes the job cake.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Jonmichz28

So basically the idea is
1. Get the window really clean
2. Remove anything in the way.
3. Work from the center out. I'm guessing so you don't trap any air.
What's the deal with the squeegee?
And u said tint solution is just water and windex, so what exactly makes the film stick? Also how much windex to water do you use?

Old 07-29-2011, 02:46 PM
nussdawg395
Veteran

Yupp, you got it. The squeege is what you use to get all the air out. The tint solution can be water and a mild detergent soap as well but i would say 1 part windex to 4 parts water. doesnt need to be anything special, just some water cut with windex. And the film sticks with a glue. It has a clear backing piece you need to peel off. I always have a friend for that part. You basically start to peel the backing piece off SLOWLY and spray the ever living crap out of the tint side as you peel. If you dont spray it, dont even waste your time doing it. Like i said before the key is to have everything soaking wet, tint and the window. Then carefully place your tint that is soaked to a completly wet window and align in place carefully. Then spray the **** out of the inside of the tint and squeege it from the center out to get all air bubbles out and make it as flat as possible. Tuck the tint in all areas and trim with a BRAND NEW SHARP RAZOR, this makes trimming better and less chance for error. Then keep wetting the tint as you squeege. Once your all done keep the windows up for at least a day and let it bake in the sun, then viola you should have nice tinted windows without bubbles.

Quick Reply: Anyone use a precut window tint kit?